Democratic Alliance (Greece)
The Democratic Alliance (Greek language: Δημοκρατική Συμμαχία — ΔΗ.ΣΥ., Dimokratiki Symmachia — DISY) was a centrist neo liberal political party in Greece. It was founded on 21 November 2010 by Dora Bakoyannis, a few months after she was expelled from the centre-right party New Democracy for voting in support of a European Union-International Monetary Fund backed financial stability loan. The party's founding congress took place on 27 May 2011.
|Founded||21 November 2010|
|Dissolved||21 May 2012|
|Split from||New Democracy|
|Merged into||New Democracy|
|Headquarters||47 Syggrou Av.,|
117 43 Athens
|National affiliation||New Democracy|
|European affiliation||Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe Party|
|European Parliament group||Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe|
0 / 300
0 / 22
7 / 725
On 21 May 2012 the party rejoined New Democracy.
As outlined in its founding declaration, the Democratic Alliance defines itself politically as a centrist movement that is ideologically inspired by the anthropocentric values of humanism, the rational thought and personal freedom brought forth by the Enlightenment, as well as the economic, political and social freedom of liberalism as an underpinning for social justice. It is also influenced by the 19th and 20th century struggles for social solidarity in Europe. Some of the positions advocated by the party are:
- A drastic reduction in taxation, by instituting a 20% flat tax. This tax rate would not apply to people with really low incomes, as it would be complemented by a system that replaces the currently existing tax cuts with negative taxation.
- A reduction in the number of civil servants and the abolition of tenure, for those hired from now on, that would allow the government to function with 2/3 of its current workforce. This would be coupled with increased salaries, for those that remain, that would be pinned on performance evaluations.
- A law that would force trade union leaders themselves to work.
- Introducing the requirement of secret ballot voting for all decisions of strike action.
- Introducing a coupon-based system of education.
|Election year||# of overall votes||% of overall vote||# of overall seats won||+/-||Notes|
|2012 (May)||161,550||2.6 (#10)||
0 / 300
- Mac Con Uladh, Damian (3 November 2011), "Where Greece stands", Irish Times, retrieved 15 March 2012
- Malkoutzis, Nick (November 2011), The Greek Crisis and the Politics of Uncertainty (PDF), Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, retrieved 15 March 2012
- "The Hellenic Parliament", About Greece - Government and Politics, Embassy of Greece in the USA, retrieved 15 March 2012
- "Athens Descends Into Anarchy", The Wall Street Journal, 13 April 2011, retrieved 15 March 2012
- Phillips, Leigh (22 June 2011), "Athens wins confidence vote, amid yawning concern over political instability", EUobserver, retrieved 15 March 2012
- The counselors of the Regions.
- "Bakoyannis founds 'Democratic Alliance' party". Athens News Agency.
- "Politician fired from the opposition for backing Greece's bailout package forms new party". Winnipeg Free Press.
- "Greece: new member in the liberal family!". ELDR European Liberal Democrats. 30 May 2011. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Ο Θ. Σκυλακάκης πρόεδρος της οργανωτικής επιτροπής του συνεδρίου της Δημοκρατικής Συμμαχίας". Theodoros Skylakakis. Archived from the original on 2011-01-18.
- "Founding Declaration". Democratic Alliance. Archived from the original on 2013-02-17.
- "Οι προτάσεις-τομές της Ντόρας Μπακογιάννη".