|Member of the Welsh Assembly|
for South Wales East
|Assumed office |
8 February 2019
|Preceded by||Steffan Lewis|
|Political party||Plaid Cymru|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford|
Jewell was born in Caerphilly and grew up in Ystrad Mynach, and attended Ysgol Bro Allta and Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni. She graduated from the University of Oxford with a BA in English Language and Literature, and an MA in Celtic Studies. In 2007, she was president of the Dafydd ap Gwilym Society, the university's Welsh-language society.
Jewell spent five and a half years as a researcher and speechwriter for Plaid's Members of Parliament, and took part in new laws against stalking in 2012 and domestic violence in 2015. She also worked for Citizens Advice and Welsh Water, as well as for the charity ActionAid on matters of women's rights and international development. Two days before entering the Assembly, she wrote an article for The Independent in which she highlighted the abuse and harassment of female politicians.
Jewell was second on the party list in the South Wales East region in the 2016 National Assembly for Wales election, from which only Steffan Lewis was elected. After Lewis died of bowel cancer at the age of 34, Jewell succeeded him into the National Assembly for Wales on 16 January 2019. She was sworn into office on 8 February 2019.
- "Delyth Jewell AM - Assembly Member Profile". National Assembly for Wales. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "Delyth Jewell" (in Welsh). Plaid Cymru. Archived from the original on 23 February 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- Pewsey, Guy (12 October 2007). "UNited Kingdom?". Cherwell. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- "Pwy yw pwy yn y Grŵp Herio ar ran Cwsmeriaid" (in Welsh). Welsh Water. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- "New AM Delyth Jewell following death of Steffan Lewis". BBC News. 16 January 2019. Retrieved 26 January 2019.
- Jewell, Delyth (14 January 2019). "My research revealed the relentless, sickening abuse towards women politicians – it cannot be left unchecked". The Independent. Retrieved 26 January 2019.
- "Delyth Jewell sworn in as AM after Steffan Lewis death". BBC News. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 9 February 2019.