Deluxe (Harmonia album)
Deluxe is the second album from the West German krautrock group Harmonia, featuring Neu! guitarist Michael Rother with Cluster, the duo of Hans-Joachim Roedelius and Dieter Moebius. It was recorded in June 1975 in Harmonia's studio in Forst, Germany. It was first released on the Brain Records label in 1975.
|Studio album by|
|Released||20 August 1975|
|Producer||Harmonia, Conny Plank|
Deluxe was produced by the band members and legendary Krautrock producer, Conny Plank. The trio were also joined by drummer Mani Neumeier for the release. It was officially reissued in 2004 by Universal.
Ned Raggett's review for Allmusic opens: "A touch more immediate and song-oriented than its predecessor, but no less enchanting and lovely to hear, Deluxe again features the trio experimenting with a variety of approaches, most particularly including vocals here and there for the first time." The Ground and Sky review by Joe McGlinchey describes Deluxe, in part: "The album also has more of a drive to it than the first Harmonia album, perhaps in part to Rother's guitar being much more upfront and noticeable, as well as the addition of Guru Guru drummer Mani Neumeier on some tracks." Neumeier performs a lengthy jam on the track "Walky-Talky". Ned Raggett adds: "The motorik pulses and rhythms, however soft and subtle, still dominate the proceedings, while the glazed, warm feeling of the whole album is astounding."
CDs of Deluxe first appeared in 1994 on the Germanofon label. This dubious company based in Luxembourg released numerous Krautrock albums without proper authorization or paying royalties, in effect producing bootlegs that somehow found their way into mainstream distribution. The Germanofon CDs were transfers from vinyl LPs and generally were of inferior sound quality. The album was not properly released on CD until 24 October 2004 on the Motor Music label, a subsidiary of the Universal Music Group. It was also reissued by Universal in Japan in 2005, by the Russian label Lilith in 2006, and by the Revisited Records label in 2007.
Music and concept by Rother/Roedelius/Moebius.
- "Deluxe (Immer Wieder)" ("Deluxe (Again and Again)") – 9:45
- "Walky-Talky" ("Walky-Talky") – 10:35
- "Monza (Rauf und Runter)" ("Monza (Up and Down)") – 7:07
- "Notre Dame" ("Notre Dame" / "Our Lady") – 4:15
- "Gollum" ("Gollum") – 4:35
- "Kekse" ("Biscuits") – 5:35
- Deluxe (Vinyl back cover). Harmonia. Brain. 1975.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Raggett, Ned. Allmusic review. Retrieved 3 September 2007.
- McGlinchey, Joe. Ground and Sky review. Retrieved 3 September 2007.
- Cope, Julian. Krautrocksampler: One Head's Guide to the Great Kosmische Musik – 1968 Onwards. 1995, Head Heritage, ISBN 0-9526719-1-3
- Rother, Michael. Harmonia web page. Retrieved 2 September 2007.