Dell Diamond is the home stadium of the Round Rock Express, the Triple-A Minor League Baseball affiliate of the Houston Astros major league baseball team. On April 16, 2000, the then-Double-A affiliate Express played their first home game at the stadium.
|Location||3400 East Palm Valley Boulevard|
Round Rock, Texas 78664
|Owner||City of Round Rock|
|Operator||Ryan Sanders Baseball LP|
|Record attendance||13,475 on June 16, 2006|
|Field size||Left field – 335 feet (102 m)|
Center field – 400 feet (120 m)
Right field – 325 feet (99 m)
|Broke ground||February 26, 1999|
|Opened||April 16, 2000|
|Construction cost||$25 million|
($36.4 million in 2018 dollars)
|Project manager||The Madison Group, Ltd.|
|Services engineer||Blum Consulting Engineers, Inc.|
|General contractor||Hensel Phelps|
Dell Diamond is built on 85 acres (344,000 m²) of former farmland on the east side of Round Rock, Texas, a rapidly growing suburban city northeast of Austin. Nolan Ryan and his son Reid Ryan, part owners of the Express, originally wanted a stadium inside the city of Austin, but found a more attractive site in the City of Round Rock, with support from the city leadership. The city of Round Rock contributed $7.35 million to the $25 million cost of the facility. The city owns the ballpark and gave the Express a 38-year lease. Local-based computer technology company Dell contracted for naming rights in a deal that will cost the company $2.5 million over 15 years.
The stadium has also hosted several college games, including some early-season University of Texas contests in 2007 while the Longhorns' home field, UFCU Disch-Falk Field, had been undergoing a major renovation project. A showcase neutral-site game was played on February 21, 2012, between the Baylor Bears and Texas State Bobcats. Dell Diamond is also the designated site for the University Interscholastic League state baseball tournament. On February 13, 2016, the stadium hosted a rugby union match between Canada and USA Rugby, as part of the Americas Rugby Championship.
In October 2016, the stadium hosted the Traxxas Monster Truck Destruction Tour during the period prior to the field being resurfaced for the first time.
From September 2017 to mid-March 2018, the stadium was transformed into a set used for the fourth season of television's Fear the Walking Dead. As a result, the field had to be resurfaced again because vegetables had been planted on it and the grass killed with chemicals to attain a post-apocalyptic look.
In 2019, the Austin Elite, of Major League Rugby, announced Dell Diamond will be their home stadium for the 2019 season. Dell Diamond has also hosted international matches in the past for the Americas Rugby Championship.
|February 13, 2016||Canada||22-30||United States||World Rugby||ARC||-|
|February 23, 2019||Brazil||28–33||United States||World Rugby||ARC||-|
The Dell Diamond is the home field for the Round Rock Express.
- Davenport, Christian (February 27, 1999). "Nolan Ryan Breaks Ground from the Mound". Austin American-Statesman. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- Knight, Graham. "The Dell Diamond". Baseball Pilgrimages. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. "Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–". Retrieved January 2, 2019.
- "Past Projects". The Madison Group, Ltd. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- "Leisure-Recreation Facilities". Blum Consulting Engineers. Archived from the original on September 2, 2010. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- Jacobs, Janet (January 14, 2000). "Dell Roots, Roots, Roots for the Home Team". Austin American-Statesman. p. A1.
- "Ballpark Profile". Minor League Baseball. January 12, 2010. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- Pirtle, Krista (February 23, 2012). "Baseball Takes Down Texas State with Four-Run Inning". The Baylor Lariat. Baylor University. Retrieved March 9, 2014.
- "Nashville vs. Round Rock - June 25, 2007 - Box". Minor League Baseball. June 25, 2007. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- Maun, Tyler (May 10, 2018). "Round Rock promo rises from the grave". Minor League Baseball. Retrieved May 1, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dell Diamond.|