Houses along Manchester Road
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
The village lies southwest of the confluence of the River Don and Little Don River, and near to the junctions of the A616 road and A6102 roads, and the former junction of the 'Woodhead Line' (Sheffield to Penistone section, built for the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway) and private Stocksbridge Railways; the village was served by the Deepcar railway station from 1846 to 1959.
The Deepcar archaeological site, which included a structure or 'house', dating to the mesolithic period, and ascribed to the Maglemosian culture was excavated in 1962 close to the junction of the Don and Little Don at Wharncliffe Wood. (grid reference ). The site's culture has similarities to Star Carr in North Yorkshire, but gives its name to unique "Deepcar type assemblages" of microliths in the archaeology literature.
- Ordnance survey. 1:25000. c.2012
- DEEPCAR, Stocksbridge Town Council
- Ordnance survey. 1:10560. 1894
- Historic England. "Deepcar Station (501261)". PastScape. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- Radley, J.; Mellars, P. (1964). "A Mesolithic structure at Deepcar, Yorkshire, England and the affinities of its associated flint industry". Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. 30: 1–24.
- Tolan-Smith, Chris (2008), "Chap. 5 : Mesolithic Britain", in Bailey, Geoff; Spikins, Penny (eds.), Mesolithic Europe, Cambridge University Press, pp. 132–157, ISBN 978-0-521-85503-7
- Millward, Roy; Robinson, Adrian (1975), The Peak District, Eyre Methuen, p. 97
- Historic England. "Monument No. 312597". PastScape. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- Historic England. "Monument No. 312589". PastScape. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- "Deepcar and Stocksbridge: St John the Evangelist (with St Matthias) - A Church Near You". www.achurchnearyou.com. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Deepcar.|
- Deepcar Area, Stocksbridge & District History Society
- Sources for the history of Deepcar Produced by Sheffield City Council's Libraries and Archives
|This South Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|