General Deepak Kapoor PVSM, AVSM, SM, VSM, ADC (b. 1948) served as the 23rd Chief of Army Staff of the Indian Army, appointed on 30 September 2007 and Chairman, Chiefs of Staffs Committee(COSC) appointed on 31 August 2009.
|23rd Chief of Army Staff (India)|
1 October 2007 – 31 March 2010
|Awards|| Param Vishisht Seva Medal|
Ati Vishisht Seva Medal
Vishisht Seva Medal
|Years of service||11 June 1967 – 31 March 2010|
|Commands|| Northern Army|
22 Mountain Division
161 Infantry Brigade
Independent Artillery Brigade, 2 Corps
74 Medium Regiment
|Battles/wars||Indo-Pakistani War of 1971|
United Nations Operation in Somalia II
Kapoor was commissioned into the Regiment of Artillery on 11 June 1967. He is an alumnus of Sainik School, Kunjpura, National Defence Academy Khadakwasla (30th Course) and Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehradun. His career in the Indian Army spans four decades, during which he has held varied command and as well as staff appointments. A veteran of the 1971 Indo-Pak War in the eastern theatre (Bangladesh), he is an alumnus of the Defence Services Staff College (DSSC) in Wellington and has completed the Higher Command Course at Army War College, Mhow and NDC course at the National Defence College (NDC) in New Delhi. He served as the Chief Operations Officer for UNOSOM II (United Nations Operation in Somalia II) during 1994-95 and was awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM) in January 1996.
General Kapoor was Vice-Chief of the Army before taking over as the Chief of Army Staff.
General Kapoor commanded the 161 Infantry Brigade in Uri, Jammu & Kashmir which was actively involved in operations along the Line of Control. For his performance he was awarded the Sena Medal in January 1998. He commanded the 22nd Mountain Division as part of a Strike Corps during Operation Parakram in 2001-02. He was thereafter deeply involved in counter insurgency operations combating the insurgency in Assam, as Chief of Staff of 4 Corps in Tezpur. On promotion to Lieutenant General, he commanded 33 Corps at Siliguri, West Bengal. For his service as a Corps Commander, he was awarded the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal in January 2006. On elevation to the appointment of Army Commander, he commanded the Army Training Command (ARTRAC) in Shimla. Thereafter he moved to spearhead the Northern Command (India), the largest operational command in the Indian Army, deployed over varied terrain and was once again actively involved in COIN operations. For his performance, he was awarded the Param Vishisht Seva Medal in January 2007.
General Kapoor was appointed as the Honorary Aide-De-Camp to the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, the President of India. He is also the senior Colonel Commandant of the Regiment of Artillery.
General Kapoor holds Master's Degrees in Political Science, Military Science and Business Administration, the latter which he completed at the Indira Gandhi National Open University in New Delhi. He also holds a diploma in Business Management. He is married to Mrs. Kirti Kapoor and they have two children - a daughter and a son, both of whom are married.
Major Decorations and BadgesEdit
Dates of rankEdit
|Insignia||Rank||Component||Date of rank|
|Second Lieutenant||Indian Army||11 June 1967|
|Lieutenant||Indian Army||11 June 1969|
|Captain||Indian Army||11 June 1973|
|Major||Indian Army||11 June 1980|
|Colonel||Indian Army||1 November 1991|
|Brigadier||Indian Army||18 January 1996|
|Major General||Indian Army||3 June 2001|
|Lieutenant-General||Indian Army||29 June 2004 (seniority from 1 March)|
|Indian Army||1 October 2007|
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 6 April 1968. p. 282.
- Gen Kapoor, Hooda come together at their alma mater The Hindu, 25 July 2008.
- Public Information Bureau release on Kunjpara Sainik School
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 20 September 1969. p. 960.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 8 December 1973. p. 1370.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 6 December 1980. p. 1382.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 5 September 1992. p. 1564.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 27 December 1997. p. 1961.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 10 May 2003. p. 632.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 29 April 2006. p. 607.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 1 December 2007. p. 1868.
| Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee
2009 - 2010
Pradeep Vasant Naik
Joginder Jaswant Singh
| Chief of Army Staff
2007 – 2010
V K Singh
| General Officer Commanding - in - Chief Northern Command
2005 – 2006
H S Panag