Deeds of Flesh
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Deeds of Flesh is a technical death metal band from Los Osos, California, U.S. They were formed in 1993 by Jacoby Kingston, Erik Lindmark (1972–2018) and Joey Heaslet and are still active. They founded their own label, Unique Leader Records, which has since become home to a number of other death metal bands from around the world. Deeds of Flesh have released eight studio albums, their most recent being Portals to Canaan which was released in 2013.
Deeds of Flesh
|Origin||Los Osos, California|
|Genres||Brutal death metal, technical death metal|
|Labels||Unique Leader Records|
|Past members||Erik Lindmark|
Deeds of Flesh formed in 1993. They signed to Wild Rags Records and released their first EP, entitled Gradually Melted. They then moved labels to the now-defunct Repulse Records, and released their first full-length album, entitled Trading Pieces, in 1996.
Two years later, in 1998, they released a second album, entitled Inbreeding the Anthropophagi, on the same label, this time with Brad Palmer replacing Joey Heaslet on drums. After this album was recorded, guitarist Jim Tkacz joined the band. The band then lost their contract with the label and self-released a demo. After this, they decided to form their own label Unique Leader Records. All their subsequent records were released on this label. The band then released a DVD called Deeds of Flesh: Live In Montreal in 2005.
Deeds of Flesh has toured extensively over the past decade. After the release of Mark of the Legion, the band supported Monstrosity on the "Bloodletting North America Pt. II" Tour. A year later, in 2002, they would tour with Disgorge and Dutch death metallers Severe Torture and Disavowed on the Bloodletting North America Part III tour. The band also performed a number of shows with Cannibal Corpse.
After sitting out much of 2005 due to injuries to Jacoby Kingston and Mike Hamilton, the band started touring again in 2006. They toured Europe alongside Monstrosity, Vile, and Impaled, then toured North America with Decrepit Birth, Vile, and Odious Mortem.
Their music can be described as influenced by the brutal death metal style pioneered by Suffocation and the technical approach of bands like Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse coupled with a songwriting style that incorporates numerous abrupt changes in meter and tempo, creating a disorienting atmosphere to the listener. The guitar riffs themselves tend to be atonal, albeit often minor or diminished, mixtures of palm-muting, fast tremolo picking, and breakdowns. The drum parts also change frequently, mirroring the constantly shifting nature of the guitar lines. The vocals are a mixture of low growls and high screams. On former albums, the low-pitched vocals were performed by Lindmark, and the high-pitched vocals by Kingston. After Kingston's departure, Lindmark undertook all vocal duties before his death on November 29, 2018.
Their lyrical content deals with themes common to death metal, such as death, murder, disease, and horror. Of What's To Come was a stylistic departure from this as a concept album that dealt with post-apocalyptic & science fiction themes.
- Craig Peters – guitar, vocals (2011–present)
- Ivan Munguia – bass (2012–present)
- Darren Cecsa – drums (2016–present)
- Erik Lindmark – guitar, vocals (1993–2018; died 2018)
- Jacoby Kingston – bass, vocals (1993–2007)
- Joey Heaslet – drums (1993–1996, 1998–1999)
- Brad Palmer – drums (1996–1998)
- Jimmy Tkacz – guitar (1998–1999)
- Roderick Williams Jr. – guitar (1998)
- Derek Boyer – bass (1998)
- Mike Hamilton – drums (1999–2016)
- Jared Deaver – guitar (1999–2001)
- Sean Southern – guitar (2005–2011)
- Erlend Caspersen – bass (2007–2012)
- Corey Athos – vocals (2011–2012)
- "Unique Leader Records Founder & DEEDS OF FLESH Guitarist Erik Lindmark Has Passed Away, R.I.P." Metalinjection.net. 29 November 2018. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Blabbermouth.net: Deeds of Flesh parts ways with bassist, replacement announced". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Archived from the original on 2009-04-28. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "DEEDS OF FLESH Announces Lineup Change". Blabbermouth.net. 23 July 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "DEEDS OF FLESH: 'Portals To Canaan' Track Listing, Release Date Revealed". Blabbermouth.net. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Unique Leader Records Founder / Deeds of Flesh Guitarist Erik Lindmark Has Passed Away". MetalSucks. November 29, 2018. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- "Unique Leader Records Founder/Deeds Of Flesh Guitarist Erik Lindmark Passes Away". ThePRP. November 29, 2018. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-09. Retrieved 2016-08-01.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Deeds of Flesh - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives". Metal-archives.com. Retrieved 30 November 2018.