"Dedicated To The One I Love" is a song written by Lowman Pauling and Ralph Bass which was a hit for the "5" Royales, the Shirelles and the Mamas & the Papas. Pauling was the guitarist of the "5" Royales, the group that recorded the original version of the song, produced by Bass, in 1957. Their version was re-released in 1961 and charted at number 81 on the Billboard Hot 100.
|"Dedicated To The One I Love"|
|Single by the Shirelles|
|from the album Tonight's the Night|
|B-side||"Look A Here Baby"|
|Recorded||Beltone (New York, New York, U.S.)|
|Songwriter(s)||Lowman Pauling, Ralph Bass|
|Producer(s)||Florence Greenberg, Stan Greenberg|
|The Shirelles singles chronology|
The Shirelles versionEdit
A cover version recorded by American girl group the Shirelles reached number 83 in 1959. This version was re-released in 1961 and reached number three on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and number two on Billboard's Hot R&B Sides. The song was subsequently included on their 1961 album Tonight's the Night.
The Mamas & The Papas versionEdit
|"Dedicated To The One I Love"|
|Single by The Mamas & the Papas|
|from the album The Mamas & The Papas Deliver|
|Recorded||November 26, 1966, Western Recorders, 6000 Sunset Boulevard Hollywood CA|
|Songwriter(s)||Lowman Pauling, Ralph Bass|
|The Mamas & the Papas singles chronology|
In 1967, a subsequent and slightly more popular cover version by the Mamas & the Papas released on the Dunhill label went to number 2 on the Billboard Hot 100, kept from number 1 by "Happy Together" by The Turtles. This version also reached number 2 on the UK's Record Retailer chart. The lead singer on the Mamas & the Papas version was Michelle Phillips. It was the first time that Phillips was given the lead over Cass Elliot. The song was also included on the group's 1967 album The Mamas & The Papas Deliver.
While the song mixes of the group's singles differ significantly from their album counterparts with some frequency ("Words of Love" and "Creeque Alley," in particular, feature overdubbed instruments that don't appear on the album versions of the songs), "Dedicated To The One I Love" used the same mix for both single and album. However, there are differing versions of the song available.
- The mono single and mono album versions are identical. In them, Michelle's voice is double-tracked, but mixed down into the 'sound' of one voice. Cass's vocals are more prominent on these, as is the piano accompaniment. The cold ending features all four group members in signature harmony.
- The stereo album mix moves the piano to the back of the mix, and Mama Cass' voice is further blended into the others'. This is particularly prevalent at the end of the song, where Cass is all but absent.
The group appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1967 to perform both this song and the single to follow, "Creeque Alley". Although the single has a running time of 2:56, and the group performed the song in its entirety, edited versions of the song appear on internet video sites with a much shorter running time.
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||13|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||8|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||15|
|New Zealand (Listener)||10|
|South Africa (Springbok) ||2|
|UK Record Retailer ||2|
|US Billboard Hot 100||2|
|US Cash Box Top 100||2|
|West Germany (Musikmarkt)||26|
- 1965: Johnny Preston released a version of the song as the B-side of his single "Running Bear '65".
- 1965: Reparata and the Delrons covered the song on their LP Whenever a Teenager Cries.
- 1967: The Lettermen released a version of the song on their album Spring!
- 1968: The O'Kaysions released a version of the song on their debut album, Girl Watcher and as the B-side of their single, "Love Machine".
- 1972: The Temprees' version reached number 17 on Billboard's Soul Singles chart and number 93 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- 1973: Ruben and the Jets released it on their album For Real!
- 1981: Bernadette Peters recorded a version, which reached number 65 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- 1994: Bitty McLean recorded a reggae remake, which reached number 6 on the UK Singles Chart.
- 1996: Linda Ronstadt made it the title song of her album Dedicated to the One I Love.
- 1998: Tanya Stephens included the song on her album Ruff Rider.
- 2000: Holly Cole included the song on her album Romantically Helpless.
- 2001: Rosie & the Originals recorded an a cappella version for their album Angel Baby Revisited.
- 2007: Renée Geyer recorded a version on her album Dedicated.
- 2013: Wilson Phillips included it on their album Dedicated.
The song in popular cultureEdit
- In the 1980s, a version of the song was used in a Kellogg's Special K commercial.
- In an episode of the television show China Beach, the actress Chloe Webb, portraying a USO touring backup singer, offers a tender and emotional version of the song to a fatally injured soldier as a last request as he is dying.
- The song was used in a scene in the 1986 film House.
- In 1992, the long-running CBS nighttime soap opera Knots Landing, in which Michelle Phillips starred, named an episode "Dedicated to the One I Love", in which the Mamas & the Papas' version of the song is played in the background.
- The Shirelles version is used in Homicide: Life on the Street (season 5) , episode 17 episode titled "Kaddish".
- The song was used in the last scene and fade-out of the 2002 movie Morvern Callar.
- In 2005, the song was covered by the final 10 of the second season of New Zealand Idol.
- The Mamas & the Papas' version is played at the end of the last scene and during the credits of the 2014 movie The One I Love.
- In D-TV Disney, the Mamas & the Papas' version was set to Sleeping Beauty.
- In 2017, the Netflix series trailer for their movie Okja is set to a re-edited version of the Mamas and the Papas' version.
- The song was used in a scene in the 2018 film Mid90s.
- The Mamas and Papas' version of the song runs over the closing credits to episode 5 of season 3 of the streaming television series The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, which centers on the fictional friendship between Miriam Maisel and Lenny Bruce.
- The Mamas and Papas' version of the song is played in Schitt's Creek during the last scene of Season 6, Episode 8.
- The Temprees’ version runs over the closing credits of Atlanta Season 3, Episode 5.
- Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 36 - The Rubberization of Soul: The Great Pop Music Renaissance. [Part 2]: UNT Digital Library" (audio). Pop Chronicles. Digital.library.unt.edu. Retrieved April 29, 2011.
- "Dedicated to the One I Love (song by The 5 Royales) • Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. 1961-01-23. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "Dedicated to the One I Love (song by The Shirelles) • Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. 1959-07-13. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942–2004. Record Research. p. 523.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (8th ed.). Record Research. p. 392.
- "The Hot 100 Chart". Billboard.com. Retrieved 27 April 2021.
- "Dedicated to the One I Love (song by The Mamas & the Papas) • Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. 1967-02-25. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "CashBox Record Reviews" (PDF). Cash Box. February 18, 1967. p. 14. Retrieved 2022-01-12.
- "Go-Set National Top 40, May 17, 1967". Retrieved 27 April 2021.
- "The Mamas & The Papas – Dedicated to the One I Love" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- "The Mamas & The Papas – Dedicated to the One I Love" (in French). Ultratop 50. Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Dedicated to the One I Love". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- "The Mamas & The Papas – Dedicated to the One I Love" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- "flavour of new zealand - search listener". Flavourofnz.co.nz. Retrieved 27 April 2021.
- "South African Rock Lists Website SA Charts 1969 – 1989 Acts (M)". Rock.co.za. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- Mamas and the Papas - Full Official Chart History, Official Charts Company. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "The Mamas the Papas Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved June 23, 2018.
- "Cash Box Top 100 Singles, April 8, 1967". Archived from the original on November 28, 2018. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- The Mamas & the Papas - Dedicated to the One I Love, norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "Johnny Preston – Running Bear '65 / Dedicated To The One I Love – Hall – USA – 45-1927". 45cat.com. 1965-03-20. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "The Lettermen – Spring! (Vinyl, LP, Album)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "The O'Kaysions, Girl Watcher". Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- "Dedicated to the One I Love (song by The Temprees) • Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "Dedicated to the One I Love (song by Bernadette Peters) • Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "Dedicated to the One I Love (song by Bitty McLean) • Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "Season 13 Episode Guide | Knots Landing Guide & Fan Site". KnotsLanding.net. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- Okja Official Trailer #1 (2017) on YouTube
- ""This is dedicated to the one I love." – Schitt's Creek Recap – The Presidential Suite". Headoverfeels.com. 3 March 2020. Retrieved 27 April 2021.