Decima (game engine)
Decima is a proprietary game engine launched in November 2013. It houses tools and features like artificial intelligence and game physics. The engine has a compatibility with 4K resolution and high-dynamic-range imaging used for PlayStation 4 games.
Decima in action on Horizon Zero Dawn: graphic quality exhibited by the game engine was among the most praised elements of Horizon.
|Initial release||November 2013|
The first game the engine was used for was Killzone Shadow Fall. In June 2015, Guerrilla Games announced that Horizon Zero Dawn was using the engine for development. In August 2015, Until Dawn was announced to be using the engine along with Havok physics. In December 2015, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood used the engine along with PlayStation VR. In June 2016, Hideo Kojima announced preparation for Kojima Productions' independent game Death Stranding, inspecting two engine candidates, of which the latter had been used to create the first teaser that was unveiled at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2016 conference. After receiving the Industry Icon award at The Game Awards 2016, Kojima premiered a trailer for the game with the engine's logo. At PlayStation Experience, Kojima had announced that he had partnered with Guerrilla Games, using the engine for development, and had been given the source code with no contractual obligation. According to executive producer Angie Smets, they had simply called it "the engine", until Kojima said he wanted to work with it and had to spontaneously come up with a name: Dejima, the island where a Dutch trading post appeared in the 17th century and once symbolized the strong Dutch–Japanese trade relations. For a long time, the Netherlands was the only foreign country allowed to trade with Japan.
During PlayStation Experience on December 2016, it was revealed that the engine has artificial intelligence, game physics and logics tools, featuring resources for creating entire worlds. It is compatible with 4K resolution and high-dynamic-range imaging.
|Killzone Shadow Fall||2013||PlayStation 4||Guerrilla Games|
|Until Dawn||2015||Supermassive Games|
|Until Dawn: Rush of Blood||2016|
|RIGS: Mechanized Combat League||Guerrilla Cambridge|
|Horizon Zero Dawn||2017||Guerrilla Games|
|Death Stranding||2019||Kojima Productions|
- Renardson, Adam (February 23, 2017). "The Hideo Kojima Death Stranding interview: Strands, Decima and Guerrilla Games". PlayStation.Blog. Retrieved July 15, 2017.
- Leadbetter, Richard (November 24, 2013). "The technology of Killzone Shadow Fall". Eurogamer. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- VanDervoot, Oliver (June 19, 2015). "Horizon: Zero Dawn Is 1080p/30fps And Uses Modified KIllzone: Shadowfall Engine". GamingBolt. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Imtiaz, Khurram (August 24, 2015). "PS4 Exclusive Until Dawn Shows The Power Of Killzone: Shadow Fall Engine In These Direct-Feed Screenshots". GearNuke. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Nunneley, Stephany (August 12, 2014). "Until Dawn has been "refocused, rewritten, rebuilt" for PS4 and DualShock 4". VG247. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Shea, Brian (December 11, 2015). "Supermassive Talks The Thrills Of Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood". Game Informer. Retrieved December 4, 2016 – via GameStop.
- Shea, Brian (December 11, 2015). "Supermassive Talks The Thrills Of Until Dawn: Rush Of Blood". GameInformer. Retrieved December 4, 2016.
- McWhertor, Michael (June 15, 2016). "Death Stranding's teaser probably won't be playable, Hideo Kojima says". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Reiner, Andrew (June 15, 2016). "An Interview With Hideo Kojima". Game Informer. GameSpot. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Frank, Allegra (December 2, 2016). "Is Decima the name of Death Stranding's engine?". Polygon. Retrieved December 3, 2016 – via Vox Media.
- Gartenberg, Chaim (December 1, 2016). "Watch a creepy new Death Stranding trailer featuring Mads Mikkelsen and Guillermo del Toro". The Verge. Retrieved December 3, 2016 – via Vox Media.
- "Death Stranding's "Decima" Engine Revealed by Hideo Kojima; it's Guerrilla Games' Engine". DualShockers. December 3, 2016. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Rad, Chloi (December 3, 2016). "PSX 201: Death Stranding WIll Run on Guerrilla Games' Decima Engine". IGN. Retrieved December 3, 2016 – via Ziff Davis.
- "Guerilla Games is niet bang de lat hoog te leggen". Algemeen Dagblad (in Dutch). March 1, 2017. Retrieved October 17, 2018.
- van Miltenburg, Olaf (December 5, 2016). "Kojima start studio at Guerrilla Games in Amsterdam". Tweakers.
- "Death Stranding - PlayStation Experience 2016: Panel Discussion". December 3, 2016.
- Rad, Chloi (December 3, 2016). "PSX 2016: Death Stranding Will Run on Guerrilla Games' Decima Engine". IGN. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Pereira, Chris (December 3, 2016). "Kojima Partnering With Killzone, Horizon Dev Guerrilla for Death Stranding". GameSpot. Retrieved December 3, 2016 – via CBS Interactive.