Roberts in May 2009
Deborah Ann Roberts
September 20, 1960
Perry, Georgia, U.S.
|Residence||Manhattan, New York City|
|Education||Bachelor of Journalism |
Henry W. Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication
University of Georgia
Dateline NBC correspondent
Lifetime Live host
|Spouse(s)||Al Roker (m. 1995)|
|Website||Deborah Roberts ABC News profile|
Early life and educationEdit
Roberts was born in Perry, Georgia, to Benjamin Roberts, a business owner, and Ruth Roberts, a housewife. She graduated from the Henry W. Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia, with a Bachelor of Journalism in 1982. In 1992, Roberts was awarded the University of Georgia Distinguished Alumnus Award for her rapid success as a journalist.
During 1987–1990, she served as bureau chief/NASA field reporter/weekend news co-anchor at WFTV, a local television station in Orlando, Florida. In 1990, she joined NBC News as a general-assignment reporter and later served as a correspondent for Dateline NBC, an NBC News newsmagazine program.
Roberts moved to ABC News in 1995 as a correspondent for 20/20, a newsmagazine program, as well as an anchor for World News Tonight Weekend, the weekend evening news program, and for Good Morning America, the morning news program. In July and September 2006, she was also a guest host on The View, a talk show produced by ABC Daytime, a division of ABC.
In 2016, the non-fiction book, Been There, Done That: Family Wisdom for Modern Times, written by Roberts and husband Al Roker, was published.
- Simmons, Kelly (December 2006). "Alumni Profile: 20/20 Vision — ABC Correspondent Deborah Roberts (ABJ '82) Is at the Top of Her Game in Network News". Georgia. University of Georgia. 86 (1). Archived from the original on June 6, 2011. Retrieved December 20, 2009.
- McClurg, Jocelyn (January 5, 2016). "Al Roker, Deborah Roberts write about their marriage". USA Today.
- "Deborah Roberts: ABC News Correspondent". ABC News. October 14, 2016. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Leonard, Chuck (October 10, 2013). "WTVM 60th Anniversary: A familiar face on ABC News 20/20". WTVM. Retrieved May 18, 2016.
- "Deborah Roberts". ABC News. April 9, 2012. Retrieved May 18, 2016.
- "Bio: Deborah Roberts". BET. October 6, 2010. Retrieved May 18, 2016.
- "Deborah Roberts". abcnews.go.com. ABC NEWS. Retrieved June 5, 2019.
- Oxman, Steven (March 8, 2000). "Review: 'Lifetime Live'". Variety. Retrieved May 18, 2016.
- "Al Roker and Deborah Roberts". The New York Times. September 17, 1995. Retrieved May 18, 2016.