Deaths in August 1999
|← July||August||September →|
The following is a list of notable deaths in August 1999.
Entries for each day are listed alphabetically by surname. A typical entry lists information in the following sequence:
- Name, age, country of citizenship at birth, subsequent country of citizenship (if applicable), reason for notability, cause of death (if known), and reference.
- Rudy Burckhardt, 85, Swiss-American filmmaker and photographer, suicide by drowning.
- Nirad C. Chaudhuri, 101, Indian English-language writer.
- Tommy Hinnershitz, 87, American race car driver.
- Kalyan Kumar, 71, Indian film actor and producer.
- İrfan Özaydınlı, 75, Turkish soldier and politician.
- Paris Pişmiş, 88, Armenian-Mexican astronomer.
- Gregorio Cárdenas Hernández, Mexican serial killer.
- Alf Miller, 82, English football player and coach.
- Ana Rosa Núñez, 73, Cuban-American poet and librarian, brain hemorrhage.
- Charles Rappolt, 59, Australian politician, suicide.
- Peter Vanneck, 77, British Royal Navy officer, fighter pilot and politician.
- Abd al-Wahhab Al-Bayati, 72, Iraqi poet.
- Rod Ansell, 44, Australian cattle grazier, buffalo hunter and inspiration for the movie character Crocodile Dundee, killed in a police shootout.
- Yitzhak Rafael, 85, Israeli politician.
- Naomi Sim, 85, English actress and writer.
- Leroy Vinnegar, 71, American jazz bassist, heart attack.
- Roy Wiggins, 73, American steel guitarist.
- Akhlaq Ahmed, 49, Pakistani playback singer, blood cancer.
- Victor Mature, 86, American film actor (Samson and Delilah, Kiss of Death), leukemia.
- Chuck Sweeney, 85, American football player.
- Carl Toms, 72, British set and costume designer, emphysema.
- Mihai Băcescu, 91, Romanian zoologist.
- Raymond Hart, 86, British seaman and a Royal Navy officer.
- Ilse Pausin, 80, Austrian pair skater.
- Kalpnath Rai, 58, Indian politician, heart attack.
- Rita Sakellariou, 64, Greek singer, cancer.
- Muhammad Shariff, 78, Pakistani army general.
- Claudette Sorel, 66, American pianist and educator, cancer.
- Doug Witcomb, 81, Welsh football player.
- Wally Albright, 73, American former child actor.
- Frances Baldwin, 91, American painter.
- Jonathan Boyd, 54, Australian professional wrestler, heart attack.
- Brion James, 54, American film actor, heart attack.
- J. Andrew Keith, 40, American role-playing game designer.
- Harry Litwack, 91, American college basketball coach.
- Tsou Tang, 80, Chinese-born American political scientist.
- John Van Ryn, 94, American tennis player.
- Ira Baldwin, 103, American academic and administrator.
- Bill Bradbury, 66, English footballer, heart attack.
- Bob Herbert, 57, English talent manager, traffic collision.
- William Arthur Irwin, 101, Canadian journalist and diplomat, asthma.
- Brandon Moss, 90, British police officer and recipient of the George Cross.
- John O'Neill, 56, Australian rugby player, cancer.
- Helen Rollason, 43, British sports journalist and television presenter, colorectal cancer.
- Jackie Sato, 41, professional wrestler from Yokohama, Japan, stomach cancer.
- Riley Smith, 88, American football player.
- Abraham H. Taub, 88, American mathematician and physicist.
- Yuri Volyntsev, 67, Soviet and Russian film and theater actor.
- Lee Baggett Jr., 72, four star admiral in the United States Navy, heart disease.
- Paweł Czartoryski, 75, Polish historian.
- Giuseppe Delfino, 77, Italian fencer and Olympic champion.
- Jens Hoyer Hansen, 59, Danish-born New Zealand jeweller, cancer.
- Jennifer Paterson, 71, British chef and television personality (Two Fat Ladies), lung cancer.
- Anthony Radziwiłł, 40, American television executive and filmmaker.
- Baldev Upadhyaya, 99, Indian literary historian, essayist and critic.
- Dickie Davis, 77, English footballer.
- Robert Dorfmann, 87, French film producer.
- Robert Thomas Jones, 89, American engineer.
- Ernst Kaether, 95, German Wehrmacht general during World War II.
- Mimi Pollak, 96, Swedish actress and theatre director.
- Byron Randall, 80, American West Coast artist, emphysema.
- Tommy Ridgley, 73, American R&B singer and bandleader, lung cancer.
- Hendrick Chin A Sen, 65, Surinamese politician.
- Pavel Arsenov, 63, Soviet and Russian film actor, screenwriter and film director.
- Jean Drapeau, 83, Canadian lawyer and politician.
- Ross Elliott, 82, American television and film character actor, cancer.
- Wilfrid Kalaugher, 94, New Zealand athlete and scholar.
- Martin Wong, 53, Chinese-American painter, AIDS related illness.
- Can Yücel, 72, Turkish poet, throat cancer.
- Susana Ferrari Billinghurst, 85, Argentine aviator.
- Jaime Garzón, 38, Colombian comedian, journalist, politician, and peace activist, murdered.
- Frederick Hart, 55, American sculptor, cancer.
- Nathaniel Kleitman, 104, American physiologist and sleep researcher.
- Argentina Díaz Lozano, 86, Honduran journalist and novelist.
- Thomas L. Ridge, 84, United States Marine Corps officer.
- Evelyn Adams, 75, American baseball player (AAGPBL)
- Lane Kirkland, 77, American labor union leader, cancer.
- Pat Mullin, 81, American baseball player.
- John Pingel, 82, American football player.
- Pee Wee Reese, 81, American baseball player (Boston Red Sox) and member of the MLB Hall of Fame.
- Lidia Selkregg, Italian geologist.
- Patricia Beer, 79, English poet and critic.
- Hugh Casson, 89, English architect, interior designer, artist and writer.
- Frank Castle, 75, English sprint athlete, rugby union, and rugby league footballer.
- Paddy Devlin, 74, Irish social democrat, labour and civil rights activist.
- Helene Kirsch, 93, German politician.
- Thomas H. Maren, American professor of medicine, heart failure.
- Mark McPhee, 35, Australian cricketer, traffic accident.
- David W. Allen, 54, American film and television stop motion animator.
- Laura Andreson, American ceramic artist.
- Nancy Guild, 73, American film actress, emphysema.
- Rudolf Sremec, 89, Yugoslav and Croatian film director.
- Randy Heflin, 80, American baseball player.
- Charles Samuel Joelson, 83, American lawyer and politician.
- Reiner Klimke, 63, German equestrian, heart attack.
- Bill Tyquin, 80, Australian rugby player.
- Alfred Bickel, 81, Swiss football player and coach.
- Alf Kirchen, 85, English footballer.
- Hanoch Levin, 55, Israeli dramatist, theater director, author and poet, heart attack.
- Giuseppe Beviacqua, 84, Italian long distance runner.
- William W. Evans Jr., 78, American Republican politician.
- Irene Falcón, 91, Spanish journalist, feminist and activist, respiratory condition.
- Dee Fondy, 74, American baseball player.
- Rufus Lewis, 92, American civil rights activist and politician.
- Johnny Mapson, 82, English professional football player.
- Ian Orr-Ewing, Baron Orr-Ewing, 87, British politician.
- Arthur Pinajian, 85, American artist and comic book creator.
- Rodrigo Riera, 75, Venezuelan guitarist and composer.
- Frank Fulco, 90, American politician.
- Bob Gallion, 75, American country music singer.
- Wes Graham, 67, Canadian professor of Computer Science.
- Bobby Sheehan, 31, American musician and songwriter, accidental overdose.
- Josane Sigart, 90, Belgian female tennis player.
- Abdus Salam Talukder, 62, Bangladeshi politician and lawyer.
- Leo Castelli, 91, Italian-American art dealer.
- Paddy Chew, 39, Singaporean HIV/aids victim, complications of hiv infection.
- Venya D'rkin, 29, Russian singer-songwriter, poet, artist and painter, cancer (Hodgkin's lymphoma).
- Faisal bin Fahd, 54/55, Saudi prince, heart attack.
- Sir Noel Larmour, 82, British diplomat.
- Maurice Moynihan, 96, Irish civil servant and economist.
- Jimmy Roe, 90, American soccer player.
- Aleksandr Demyanenko, 62, Russian film and theater actor, heart attack.
- Yann Goulet, 85, French sculptor.
- Muni, 70, French actress.
- Georges Boulogne, 82, French football player and manager.
- Frederick Earl Emmons, 91, American architect.
- Ratan Shankar Mishra, 80, Indian mathematician and academic.
- Norman Wexler, 73, American screenwriter, heart attack.
- James White, 71, Northern Irish author of science fiction novellas, short stories and novels, stroke.
- Helen Burgess, 48, Canadian conservation scientist.
- Mary Jane Croft, 83, American actress.
- Jo Gullett, 84, Australian soldier, politician, diplomat and journalist.
- William Kaye Lamb, 95, Canadian historian, archivist and librarian.
- Lucrecia Reyes Urtula, 70, Filipina choreographer, theater director and author.
- Rom Varshamov, 72, Soviet Armenian mathematician.
- Ndyakira Amooti, 43, Ugandan children's writer, journalist and environmentalist, leukemia.
- Rob Fisher, 42, British songwriter and musician (Naked Eyes, Climie Fisher).
- Dave Holmes, 75, American football player and coach, heart attack.
- Mona Salyer Lambird, 61, American lawyer, car accident.
- Jack Whent, 79, English soccer player.
- Andy Boarman, 87, American bluegrass and folk musician.
- Elena Murgoci, 39, Romanian long-distance runner, stabbed.
- Raymond Vernon, 85, American economist, cancer
- Harold Jack Bloom, 75, American television producer and screenwriter, cancer.
- Hélder Câmara, 90, Brazilian Roman Catholic Archbishop.
- Bai Guang, 78, Chinese actress and singer, colon cancer.
- Enzo Martinelli, 87, Italian mathematician.
- Louise Thompson Patterson, 97, American social activist and college professor.
- Paul Saltman, 71, American professor of Biology and nutrition expert, prostate cancer.
- Stephen Akinmurele, 21, British suspected serial killer, suicide.
- Harvie M. Conn, 66, Canadian missionary.
- Dave Pope, 78, American baseball player.
- Jaime Fields, 29, American football player, hit-and-run car accident.
- Lani Kai, 63, Hawaiian singer and actor.
- Sudhir Kumar Walia, 30, Indian Army officer, killed in action
- Samuel Eson Johnson Ecoma, 68, Nigerian jurist and Chief Judge.
- Kristapor Ivanyan, 78, Soviet and Armenian lieutenant general.
- Nicholas LaRocca, 85, American politician.
- Fritz Shurmur, 67, American football coach.
- Edward Stewart, 84, American set decorator.
- Marguerite Chapman, 81, American actress.
- Ed Kea, 51, Canadian ice player, drowned.
- Sylvia Potts, 55, New Zealand middle-distance athlete, cancer.
- Henry Earl Singleton, 82, American electrical engineer and business executive.
- Irina Yanina, 32, Russian nurse, medical sergeant and Hero of the Russian Federation, killed in action.
- Smith, Roberta (August 4, 1999). "Rudy Burckhardt, 85, Photographer and Filmmaker, Dies". The New York Times. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- "Paris Pismis (30 de enero, 1911 - 01 de agosto, 1999)". tayabeixo.org (in Spanish). Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Alvarez Bravo, Armando (August 5, 1999). "Ana Rosa Nunez, 73, Cuban Exile Poet and UM Librarian". Miami Herald. pp. 4B.
- Milliken, Robert (August 12, 1999). "Obituary: Rod Ansell". The Independent. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Obituary: Naomi Sim, The Independent, Retrieved 19 May 2019
- "Screen break: Death of a hunk". The Guardian. London. August 10, 1999. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- Sainsbury, A. B. (September 6, 1999). "Obituary: Captain Raymond Hart". The Independent. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
- Sehgal, Major Ikram (August 1999). "Obituary: A Soldier of Character General (Retd) Muhammad Shariff Former Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee". www.defencejournal.com. Defence Journal. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- "The Strange Life and Times of Jonathan Boyd". wrestlingclassics.com. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Berton, Pierre. "Irwin, William Arthur". The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Szreter, Adam (August 10, 1999). "Obituary: Helen Rollason". The Independent. Independent Print Limited. Archived from the original on December 19, 2014. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Nemy, Enid (August 11, 1999). "Jennifer Paterson, 71, Dies; TV Cook From 'Fat Ladies'". The New York Times. Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- "Byron Randall". SFGate. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Smith, Roberta (August 18, 1999). "Martin Wong Is Dead at 53; A Painter of Poetic Realism". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- "Kleitman. father of sleep research". University of Chicago Chronicle V. 19(1), Sept. 23 1999. University of Chicago. Retrieved May 19, 2008.
- "Evelyn Adams". All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. Retrieved March 29, 2019.
- "Patricia Beer Poet with a wry line on dissenters and Devon". The Guardian. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Lentz III, Harris M. (July 1, 2000). "Obituaries in the Performing Arts, 1999: Film, Television, Radio, Theatre, Dance, Music, Cartoons and Pop Culture". McFarland – via Google Books.
- "Charles Samuel Joelson Profile". United States Congress. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- "Irene Falcón, secretaria personal de Pasionaria". El País (in Spanish). Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Social Security Death Index Search Results, SSDI.rootsweb.com.
- Russel, John. "Leo Castelli, Influential Art Dealer, Dies at 91." New York Times, August 23, 1999.
- "Funeral prayers for Prince Faisal". BBC. August 21, 1999. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
- Vallance, Tom (August 27, 1999). "Obituary: Norman Wexler". The Independent. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
- Andrews, G. (September 29, 1999). "James White (obituary)". The Guardian. England: Guardian News and Media Limited. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Pesselnick, Jill (August 31, 1999). "Mary Jane Croft Lewis". variety.com. Retrieved April 6, 2019.
- Basham, David (August 30, 1999). "Naked Eyes Keyboardist Rob Fisher Passes Away". MTV News.
- NOTED UCSD BIOLOGIST, NUTRITION EXPERT ACCLAIMED TEACHER PAUL SALTMAN DIES AUG 27. Retrieved April 6, 2019
- 'Serial killer' found hanged | UK news | The Guardian | Retrieved 19 May 2019
- Honolulu Star-Bulletin Thursday, August 26, 1999 Entertainer Lani Kai dies at 63, Retrieved April 5, 2019
- "Social Security Death Index". Retrieved March 31, 2019 – via Genealogy Bank.
- Oliver, Myrna (September 4, 1999). "Marguerite Chapman; Movie Actress". Obituaries. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 5, 2019.