Death of Hadiya Pendleton
The death of Hadiya Pendleton occurred on January 29, 2013. Pendleton, a 15-year-old girl from Chicago, Illinois, was shot in the back and killed while standing with friends inside Harsh Park in Kenwood, Chicago after taking her final exams. A student at King College Prep High School, she was killed only one week after performing at events for President Barack Obama’s second inauguration. First Lady Michelle Obama attended the funeral for Pendleton in Chicago.
Vivian Gordon Harsh Park
|Date||January 29, 2013|
|Location||Kenwood, Chicago, Illinois, U.S.|
|Cause||Mistaken Gang Rivalry|
|Outcome||Death of Hadiya Pendleton|
|Deaths||1 (Hadiya Pendleton)|
|Suspect(s)||Michael Ward, Kenneth Williams|
|Charges||First degree murder, attempted murder, aggravated discharge of a firearm|
President Obama mentioned Pendleton's death in his 2013 State of the Union Address in Congress, where Pendleton's parents, Cleopatra Cowley-Pendleton and Nathaniel A. Pendleton Sr., attended as guests. The crime scene is "just a mile away from [President Obama's] Chicago house".
Two suspects, Michael Ward, 18, and Kenneth Williams, 20, were arrested and indicted with multiple counts of first degree murder, attempted murder, aggravated discharge of a weapon and many other charges. They told police that Pendleton was not the intended target. The group she was standing with was mistaken for members of a rival gang. A judge denied bail for the two gang members.
At the time of the shooting, Ward, the gunman, was on probation. In January 2012, he pleaded guilty to aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, and was sentenced to two years of probation. Less than three months later, he was arrested and charged with breaking into a car. In July 2012, he was arrested for breaking into a different vehicle. In November 2012, he was arrested for misdemeanor trespassing. During his youth, he had also been arrested numerous times on charges ranging from robbery to battery to marijuana possession, and had spent time on juvenile probation.
Ward and Williams were each charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder, and aggravated battery with a firearm. The trial started on August 14, 2018. On August 22nd, 2018, a jury found Williams guilty of first degree murder of Pendleton. Williams was also found guilty of aggravated battery to her friends, Sebastian Moore and Lawrence Sellers. On August 23rd, 2018, a jury found Ward guilty of first degree murder in the death of Pendleton. Both Williams and Ward are awaiting sentencing.
- Don Babwin (2013-01-31). "Hadiya Pendleton Dead: Chicago Teen Who Performed At Inaugural Events Fatally Shot". Huffington Post. Archived from the original on 2013-01-30.
- Gary Younge (2013-02-09). "Michelle Obama attending Chicago funeral of Hadiya Pendelton". Guardian. Retrieved 2013-02-13.
- Parsons, Christi (2013-02-11). "Hadiya Pendleton's parents to attend State of the Union address". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-02-13.
- "Pain Is 'Indescribable' For Gun Victim Pendleton's Mother". NPR. February 14, 2013. Retrieved April 2, 2013.
- "Chicago mothers who lost children ask DNC for police reform, gun control". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- Connor, Tracy; Rafferty, Andrew (2013-02-11). "Two charged with murder in Hadiya Pendleton shooting". NBC news. Retrieved 2013-02-13.
- "Accused Hadiya Pendleton killers denied bail". CBS News. 2013-02-12. Retrieved 2013-02-13.
- Alleged gunman in Hadiya Pendleton slaying was on probation for weapons conviction, Chicago Tribune, February 12, 2013
- Hope, Leah; Horng, Eric (August 22, 2018). "Kenneth Williams found guilty in Hadiya Pendleton murder trial; Ward trial continues". ABC7. Retrieved September 20, 2018.
- Horng, Eric; Hickey, Megan (August 23, 2018). "Mickiael Ward found guilty in Hadiya Pendleton murder trial". ABC7. Retrieved September 20, 2018.
|This United States–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This crime-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|