Death Wish (2017 film)(Redirected from Death Wish (upcoming film))
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Death Wish is an upcoming American vigilante action film directed by Eli Roth, a remake of the 1974 film of the same name which starred Charles Bronson in the lead, based on the 1972 novel written by Brian Garfield. The remake will star Bruce Willis as main character Paul Kersey, and is scheduled to be released on November 22, 2017, by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Eli Roth|
|Produced by||Roger Birnbaum|
|Screenplay by||Joe Carnahan|
|Music by||Ludwig Göransson|
|Edited by||Mark Goldblatt|
A doctor in Chicago becomes a vigilante when his wife is murdered and his daughter brutally attacked by robbers.
- Bruce Willis as Dr. Paul Kersey, a Chicago-based doctor turned vigilante.
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Frank Kersey, Paul Kersey’s younger brother.
- Dean Norris as Detective Rains
- Kimberly Elise as Detective Jackson, partner to Detective Rains.
- Mike Epps as Dr. Chris Salgado, a playboy doctor and close friend of Paul Kersey.
- Elisabeth Shue as Lucy Kersey, the wife of Paul Kersey and Jordan’s mother.
- Camila Morrone as Jordan Kersey, the daughter of Paul and Lucy.
- Ronnie Gene Blevins as Joe
- Beau Knapp as Knox, the main villain.
Development for the film began in 2006, when Sylvester Stallone announced that he would be directing and starring in a remake of Death Wish. Stallone stated, "Instead of the Charles Bronson character being an architect, my version would have him as a very good cop who had incredible success without ever using his gun. So when the attack on his family happens, he’s really thrown into a moral dilemma in proceeding to carry out his revenge." On December 20, 2006, however, Stallone officially announced that he will not be doing the Death Wish remake, due to "creative differences".
In late January 2012, The Hollywood Reporter stated that a remake was confirmed and would be written and directed by Joe Carnahan. the film was originally set to star Liam Neeson and Frank Grillo. However, Carnahan left the film in 2013 and director Gerardo Naranjo was then attached to the project, he was interested in casting Benicio Del Toro in the lead role, but this version also never came into fruition.
After 4 years in development, in March 2016, Paramount and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer announced that Aharon Keshales & Navot Papushado will direct the remake, with Bruce Willis starring. Willis was chosen from a shortlist include Russell Crowe, Matt Damon, Will Smith and Brad Pitt. In May, Keshales and Papushado quit the project after the studio failed to allow their script rewrites. In June, Eli Roth signed on to direct. On August 25, 2016, Vincent D'Onofrio was cast alongside Bruce Willis to play Paul Kersey's brother, Breaking Bad actor Dean Norris also joined Willis in the film. On October 7, 2016, Kimberly Elise and Camila Morrone were cast in the film to play Detective Jackson and Jordan Kersey. Later on October 17, 2016, Ronnie Gene Blevins was cast in the film.
- Morris, Clint (2008-06-08). "Stallone in Death Wish remake? Updated!". Moviehole. Archived from the original on July 3, 2007. Retrieved 2006-12-20.
Upon listening to the talkback responses on AICN, many who turned their nose at the idea of a remake, Stallone tells the site today that he will NOT be doing the movie. Yep, he listened to the fans!
- "Stallone tapped for Death Wish remake". London: The Guardian. 2007-11-05. Retrieved 2007-11-05.
- "'The Grey' Director Joe Carnahan to Remake 'Death Wish'". Retrieved October 5, 2012. Published online January 31, 2012,
- Fleming, Jr, Mike (March 4, 2016). "‘Death Wish’ Revamp With Bruce Willis To Be Helmed By ‘Big Bad Wolves’ Directors Aharon Keshales & Navot Papushado". Deadline.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (June 20, 2016). "Eli Roth To Direct Bruce Willis In 'Death Wish' Remake". Deadline.com. Retrieved June 20, 2016.
- "Vincent D’Onofrio Joins Bruce Willis In Eli Roth-Helmed ‘Death Wish’". Deadline. August 25, 2016.
- N'Duka, Amanda (October 7, 2016). "Eli Roth’s ‘Death Wish’ Adds Kimberly Elise and Camilla Morrone". Deadline. Retrieved October 9, 2016.
- N'Duka, Amanda (October 18, 2016). "Thriller ‘D.O.A. Blood River’ Sets Cast; Ronnie Gene Blevins Joins ‘Death Wish’". Deadline. Retrieved October 18, 2016.
- Metz, Nina (September 26, 2016). "Bruce Willis shooting 'Death Wish' remake in Chicago this week". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved October 9, 2016.
- "Bruce Willis pictured with his star studded cast for film Death Wish". Mail Online. October 13, 2016. Retrieved October 18, 2016.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (June 8, 2017). "Annapurna To Release MGM’s ‘Death Wish’ Over Thanksgiving; Sets October Date For ‘Professor Marston & The Wonder Women’". Deadline.com. Retrieved June 8, 2017.