De Stratemakeropzeeshow ("The bricklayer at sea show") was a Dutch television program for children that ran from 1972 to 1974 and was aired by the VARA broadcasting organization.
The main actors were Joost Prinsen, Aart Staartjes, and Wieteke van Dort. The "taboo-breaking" show was controversial because it tackled what were then considered unseemly topics; the "Poop and Pee Minuet" was criticized in the tabloid De Telegraaf. It was directed by Staartjes and Frans Boelen, with music by Harry Bannink. Important lyrical contributions were by Willem Wilmink; other lyricists were Karel Eykman (writing as Hendrik Blaak) and Hans Dorrestijn.
The show aired at a time when Dutch children's television was changing: the previous generation had watched Annie M. G. Schmidt's shows, but the writers of De Stratemakeropzeeshow dealt much more openly with children's problems, in a way deemed more relevant to children than previous television shows.
Cast and charactersEdit
Joost Prinsen's main character was Erik Engerd (free translation "Eerie Eric"), an alter ego that still stuck to the actor for years after. Eric always tried to scare others, but scared no one but himself.
Wieteke van Dort's Deftige Dame ("Proper Lady") farted continually; this show and others made van Dort the "uncrowned queen of Dutch children's television". Her character "Tante Lien", which later got her own show, was introduced in De Stratemakeropzeeshow.
Aart Staartjes played the title character "Stratemaker op zee" ("Street paver at sea"), abbreviated "Straat". His character represented the naive and uninhibited child who commented on the way adults lived their lives.
- Keunen, Mirjam (10 September 2009). "Pipo en Floris in canon jeugdtelevisie, Plop niet". NRC Handelsblad (in Dutch). Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Mooren, Piet (1998). "Vaak ontstaan gruwelijk snel de mooie dingen: Interview met Harry Bannink". Langs de Lange Lindelaan. NBD Biblion. p. 76. ISBN 9789054831693. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Frans Boelen 1937–1997; Artistieke kopman". NRC Handelsblad (in Dutch). 24 February 1997. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Toorn, Willem van (1985). Ooitgedicht: een groot aantal gedichten verzameld in een boek. Stichting Collectieve Propaganda van het Nederlandse Boek. p. 171. ISBN 9789070066543.
- van Collie, Jan (6 October 2011). "Nooit werden er meer vragen gesteld". Trouw (in Dutch). Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Pragt, Karin. "'Stratenmaker op zee-show'". Neerlandia (in Dutch). 79: 117–18.
- "Canon van zestig jaar kindertelevisie". Het Parool (in Dutch). 11 September 2009. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Borgdorff, Suzanne (9 February 2015). "Herman de Schermman doet Met het Mes: Even wennen". Algemeen Dagblad (in Dutch). Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Wieteke van Dort viert jubileum" (in Dutch). RTL Nieuws. 25 June 2013. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Nederland Indonesia, 1945–1995: een culturele vervlechting. Zoo Produkties. 1995. p. 102. ISBN 9789074009119.
- "Solo zingt liedjes van Willem Wilmink". 3voor12. 6 February 2006. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Jazzgitarist Peter Nieuwerf overleden". De Stentor (in Dutch). 29 March 2015. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Utrechtse gitarist Peter Nieuwerf (76) overleden" (in Dutch). RTV Utrecht. 29 March 2015. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Roos, Mark (22 July 2007). "Jeugdsentiment in Stratemaker op Zee". Algemeen Dagblad (in Dutch). Retrieved 4 June 2015.