During his tenure as AD from the fall of 1981 to November 2013, Texas won 19 National Championships and 287 conference titles. Dodds announced on October 1, 2013 that he would be retiring in 2014. However, following the approval and hiring of Steve Patterson to be the next men's athletic director in November 2013, Dodds became a special assistant to University of Texas President Bill Powers on November 25, 2013.
Dodds was born August 8, 1939 in Riley, Kansas. He is married to Mary Ann (née Chamberlain); they have two daughters, Deidre, and Debra. He is a graduate of Kansas State University, where he was also a conference champion in the quarter mile in 1959.
Before taking his current position at Texas, he was the athletic director for the Kansas State Wildcats for five years, from 1977 to 1981. Before that, Dodds was head track coach at Kansas State, a position he held from 1963 to 1976, during which time his teams captured two Big Eight Conference indoor track and field championships (1974 & 1976).
Dodds was hired in 1981 as the University of Texas' athletic director. During his tenure he has helped Texas through many major events, including the 2010–12 conference realignment frenzy and $380 million in athletic facility upgrades.
- 2011 Athletic Director of the Year 
- National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame's John L. Toner Award in December 2006
- Inducted in the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2006
- Inducted into the Drake Relays Coaches Hall of Fame in 1988
- Inducted into Kansas State Athletic Hall of Fame in 1995
- Inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in 2006
- "DeLoss Dodds UT Athletics Bio". texassports.com. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- "Muschamp to succeed Brown as Texas head coach". Austin American-Statesman. Cox Enterprises. November 18, 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-18.
- "Muschamp to remain at Texas - Assistant coach to remain as Defensive Coordinator and eventually succeed Mack Brown as head coach". MackBrownTexasFootball.com. University of Texas & Host Interactive. November 18, 2008. Archived from the original on December 11, 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-18.
- Bio Archived 2011-09-23 at the Wayback Machine retrieved 2008-09-23
- "National Championships". texassports.com. Retrieved 2019-04-06.
- "Conference Championships". texassports.com. Retrieved 2019-04-06.
- "Steve Patterson Named Texas Men's Athletic Director". The University of Texas at Austin. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- Haurwitz, Ralph (November 11, 2013). "UT regents approve Steve Patterson as Longhorns' new athletic director". Austin American-Statesman. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- "Athletics Director Steve Patterson". texassports.com. Archived from the original on December 17, 2013. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- "Biography for Deloss Dodds". Biography. IMDB. Retrieved September 30, 2011.
- "Big Eight Conference Men's Indoor Track and Field Championship History". Big Eight Sports.
- Brown, Chip (July 6, 2006). "25 YEARS OF DeLOSS DODDS AT TEXAS - Longhorns reap rewards from athletic director's steady work behind scenes". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved September 30, 2011.
- "Athletic Director Deloss Dodds". Biography. texassports.com. Archived from the original on September 23, 2011. Retrieved September 30, 2011.
- Litman, Laken. "DeLoss Dodds named Athletic Director of the Year by Sports Business Journal". SportsDay DFW. Archived from the original on 2011-08-26.