Day26 is an American male R&B music group formed in August 2007 by Sean "Diddy" Combs in a handpicked selection at the end of MTV's Making the Band 4. The group consists of Robert Curry, Brian Angel, Willie Taylor, Qwanell Mosley and Michael McCluney. The moniker is a tribute to the day when Angel, McCluney, Mosely, Curry, and Taylor went from unknowns to stars. The group released their first album, Day26, on March 25, 2008, one week after their then labelmates and Making the Band 3 winners Danity Kane released Welcome to the Dollhouse. The album's first single, "Got Me Going", was released on the finale of Making the Band 4. The album went on to debut at number one on the billboard charts. Subsequent seasons of Making the Band 4 featured the group on tour and making their second album Forever in a Day which also topped the Billboard charts.
Day 26 at the 2009 American Music Awards
|Origin||New York City, New York, United States|
|Labels||Bad Boy (2007–12)|
BMG Rights Management (2014–Present)
|Associated acts||Danity Kane, Donnie Klang, Diddy|
Michael "Big Mike" McCluney
Qwanell "Que" Mosley
|Past members||Brian Angel|
Making the Band 4 returned to MTV for another season and followed Day26, Danity Kane and Donnie Klang on the Making The Band tour. Season 3, Part 2 of Making The Band 4 debuted on February 12, 2009. The season followed Day26 as they recorded their second album, Forever in a Day, which was released April 14, 2009.
2007–2008: Formation of group and Day26Edit
Day26 was founded on the Making the Band 4 Season 1 finale on August 26, 2007. Brian Andrews, Michael McCluney, Qwanell Mosley, Robert Curry, and Willie Taylor were chosen to be a part of Diddy's brand new all-male R&B music group, while fellow cast member Donnie Klang was chosen as a solo artist for Bad Boy Records. The name Day 26 was selected from the day that they were picked which was August 26, 2007.
After being signed as a group to Bad Boy, Day 26 began another season of Making the Band with label mates Danity Kane and Donnie Klang. Upon this season, Day 26's debut single "Got Me Going" was released to download in January 2008. "Got Me Going" eventually peaked at #79 on the Billboard Hot 100. Day 26 later released their self-titled album Day26 on March 25, 2008. The next week, the album debuted at #1 on Billboard 200 selling 190,000 copies. This is the third feat. at #1 for Bad Boy winners. Album production includes Mario Winans, Danja, Bryan-Michael Cox, The Runners, and upon many others. The second single "Since You've Been Gone" was released on June 9, 2008. The song failed to reach Billboard Hot 100, but peaked at #52 on Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs. A third single was planned, but was scrapped due to low album sales, and production on their next album. Overall, the album sold 387,000 copies.
2009–2011: Forever In A Day and new lineupEdit
Making the Band 4 returned to MTV for another season and followed Day26, Danity Kane and Donnie Klang on the Making The Band tour. Season 3, Part 2 of Making The Band 4 debuted on February 12, 2009.
MTV aired part II of the final season of Making The Band 4. The season followed Day26 as they recorded their second album, Forever in a Day, which was released April 14, 2009. It also featured past Danity Kane members Dawn Richard and Aundrea Fimbres trying to move forward with their group. During the season, Que had multiple disagreements with Screwface, the group's new manager, and multiple members of the group.
In December 2009, after differences with their new management team, especially their manager Screwface, Que parted ways with the group. Que has made several videos talking about the split. On his UStream, he read an excerpt of the letter he received announcing him that he was dropped from the group.
- "Dear Qwanell,
- I have been instructed by the members of Day26 copied here to formally advise you that the group members no longer desire to work with you. The members request that no longer you nor any of our representatives contact on behalf or concerning Day26. You may have your attorneys, also copied here, direct any inquiries to my attention.
- Brian, Willie, Robert and Michael wish you the best in your future endeavors"
Que appeared in the Imma Put It on Her music video and subsequent music videos for the album.
2011–2012: A New Day and break-upEdit
In November 2011, the group released the single Made Love Lately. The music video was released in January 2012. They also announced that they were working on a new album to be titled "A New Day". On July 16, 2012, news hit the media that Day26 had officially announced their breakup and plans to continue on with their solo careers.
- “It is with great sadness and deep pain that we regret to inform you that effective immediately, Atlantic Records Platinum recording group, DAY26 have decided to take a break from the group and focus on their own individual projects. On behalf of all the members; Willie, Mike, Rob, Brian and even Que, we would like to thank all of the “fams” aka fans, dj’s across the world, promoters, radio programmers, Bad Boy Entertainment, Starstruck Management, BET, VH1 and FUSE and all DAY26 supporters in general, for your unending support throughout these years.
- We would also like to acknowledge that this journey would have not been made possible without the vision and mastermind of Sean “Diddy” Combs and of course MTV Networks for making a group of unknown men, the stars that they are today.
- We simply thank you from the bottom of our hearts and really want you to know that the journey does not end here. We continue to wish each other the very best and continued success in all of our individual endeavors, and all we ask of you is to please give each member a chance and the opportunity to shine in whatever they do.
- … And as the saying goes, this is not a goodbye, but a simply see you later.
- God bless you all,
- Much Love, Day26."
2013–present: Reunion and The Return TourEdit
On Thursday November 21, 2013, fans received word through Twitter from several group members that the group would reunite and be planning a tour for the next year. Several videos have hit the web showing the group recording material for an upcoming new album. The group planned to release the album before the tour kicked off and in doing so, signed with BMG Rights Management. On May 26, 2014, Day26 releases their first single called "Bullshit" off their upcoming EP entitled "The Return", that was set to release on June 26, 2014.
In Spring 2017, all members of Day26 announced over social media they would hold a "10 Year Anniversary Experience" concert that would take place at the Highline Ballroom in New York City on August 26, to commemorate the day they were formed in 2007. Due to the venue being sold out and overwhelming fans demanding more tickets, the band decided add an encore concert for August 27. Joining the concerts' roster of performances is the bands' fellow reality show Making The Band 4/label mate Donnie Klang, who will also celebrate his 10-year solo reunion of the day he was chosen by P. Diddy, which kick-started their careers.
In a recent interview with radio personality Sway on his radio show, Sways Universe, Willie announced that the group was recording their third studio album, while also discussing what fame has done for the group in their 10-year run as well as opening up about the controversy with Diddy not allowing the band to appear in the Bad Boy Family Reunion Tour.
On June 29,2018 Brian Angel leaves Day 26. The singer announced his departure via an Instagram post. "To all the Day26 fans. It saddens me to announce that i am no longer part of Day 26 no there's no problems amongst us, no anger or anything to that nature. this was a decision that i made solely myself. as you guys know we just recently celebrated our 10th year anniversary. they are currently on tour. and yes I've been absent from the tour dealing with a lot of personal issues. i wish the guys of Day 26 nothing but the best(of course im forever Day 26 its tattooed in my skin) but this a chapter in my life i must close. i'am focused on Brian Angel and all my solo endeavors. I look forward to all your future support... God Bless You All"
Respectively, two of the band members were seasoned artists prior to auditioning for the series "Making the Band". Their developing careers would eventually lead them to their path of success.
Robert was part of a vocal/hip hop teen duo from Detroit in the late 90's called "Antuan & Ray Ray" which had 3 song collaborations and features on New Edition/BBD member Mike Bivins record label BIV 10 "The Adventures of the BIV 10 Pee Wee All Stars" Album. Robert performed under the stage name 'Antuan', and his other half of the group 'Ray Ray' is Rashad Morgan who went on to become an R&B artist on Rapper T.I. Grand Hustle Records. Their best known song and video from the album was "Feelin It", which was also part of the animated film "Our Friend, Martin" soundtrack. Another well received track on the album the duo recorded was "The Rain", a remake cover version of the 1974 classic song "Remember The Rain" by The 21st Century. After his contribution with BIV 10, Curry became a songwriter, contributing lyrics for many artist of the industry.
Willie was formerly part of an R&B vocal group from his hometown of Chicago called "Kwiet Storm" in the late 90's. Their band released a music video "Leave Me Alone", which circulated on BET music video playlists and shows including 106 & Park. Taylor left the band after a few years later to begin a solo career and become a songwriter for many artists such as Jagged Edge and Ginuwine.The group Kwiet Storm would eventually sign with Island Def Jam a few years after Willie became part of Day 26.
Post-Day26 Solo CareersEdit
During the hiatus split of Day26 and after reuniting, each member embarked on their independent solo projects along with other endeavors they pursued:
|Band Member||Mixtape / EP||Year Released|
|Qwanell "Que" Mosley||The Q Files||2010|
|Guitar-Her: The Mixtape||2010|
|Robert "Magnum" Curry||Swagnum: The Mixtape||2010|
|The Re-introduction of Willie Taylor||2012|
|Mike "Butta" McCluney||Bonus Track (My Time)||2016|
|Brian Angel||Daybreak: The Appetizer||2017|
Each member released various singles that is not associated with the Mixtapes/EPs, and they also appeared as features on many artists projects.
Television/Film & TheaterEdit
Willie Taylor is most known for displaying his relationship with his wife for the 2nd and 3rd season of the VH1's popular reality show Love & Hip Hop Hollywood. He also co-starred in the Chocolate City films: Chocolate City:Vegas Strip and an upcoming 3rd part Chocolate City: Live Tour. Will joined the off-off Broadway circuit appearing in David E. Talbert's stage play "A Fool and His Money" in 2012. He is currently starring alongside R&B Diva Monifah in the urban stage play "Man of the House" in October 2017. He also appears in a few independent films that was previously released and is starring in some upcoming projects as well.
Robert Curry made a guest appearance in an Atlanta urban stage play "Let It Burn" in 2016. and is currently starring in the 2017 stage play "I Cheated, So What!" alongside American Idol Winner Fantasia Barrino brother Ricco Barrino. Christopher Williams & Jessica Reedy.
Awards and nominationsEdit
- American Music Awards
- 2009, Favorite R&B/Hip-Hop Band Duo or Group (Nominated)
- BET Awards
- 2009, Best Group (Won)
- 2008, Best Group (Nominated)
- Image Awards
- 2010, Outstanding Duo or Group (Nominated)
- Teen Choice Awards
- 2008, Choice Breakout Group (Nominated)
- Online Hip Hop Awards
- 2008, Digital Download of the Year (R&B) for "Got Me Going" (Won)
- Urban Music Awards
- 2009, Best Music Video: Imma Put It On Her (Nominated)
- 2009, Best Male Act (Nominated)
- SwaysUniverse (2017-08-25), PT. 1 Day 26 Speak on Making Diddy's Band, Why They Broke Up + Controversy, retrieved 2017-08-30
- "Spot Light: Grand Hustle's Rashad Morgan Takes Detroit National". Hot 107.5. 2010-06-17. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- mssouthstarable (2012-06-09), Antuan & Ray Ray Feelin' It, retrieved 2017-09-24
- Inc, Nielsen Business Media (1998-11-21). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc.
- "Our Interview with Willie Taylor". The N'Tuned Show. 2016-02-24. Retrieved 2017-09-24.
- "Former Day 26 Member Que Preps 'Q Files' Mixtape - Singersroom.com". Singersroom.com. 2010-01-28. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- "Former Day26 Member Que Mosley Drops Free Mixtape, Readies New EP - Singersroom.com". Singersroom.com. 2010-12-26. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- "Rob of Day26 To Release Mixtape…No More Day26?". 97.9 The Box. 2010-07-06. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- Urbanbridgez (January 20, 2010). "Willie from Day26 preps new mixtape".
- "Interview: Reintroducing Willie Taylor from Day 26: The Man, The Artist And The Music - YouKnowIGotSoul.com". 2012-07-25. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- "Interview: Willie Taylor Talks New Mixtape, Day26 Future Plans, Building His Own Brand - YouKnowIGotSoul.com". 2014-11-21. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- "New Music: Big Mike (of Day26) - Bonus Tracks (EP) - YouKnowIGotSoul.com". 2016-01-17. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- "New Mixtape: Brian Angel - Daybreak (@MrAngel_Day26)". www.thisis50.com. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- "Love & Hip Hop Hollywood Gets A New Cast Member From A Popular Male R&B Group". The Urban Daily. 2015-08-30. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- Davis, Judith (2017-08-13). "The "Man Of The House" Stage Play Debuts at NJIT University". Medium. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- "Stage Play, Atlanta, I Cheated So What". Stage Play, Atlanta, I Cheated So What. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- "Parker McKenna Posey and Mike McCluney of Day26 join 'Conundrum: Secrets Among Friends' (EXCLUSIVE)". shadowandact.com. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- Times, Music (2014-06-27). "Day26 Reunites For New Album 'The Return' [LISTEN]". Music Times. Retrieved 2017-09-27.