David Toshio Tsumura
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
David Toshio Tsumura (津村 俊夫, Tsumura Toshio, born February 4, 1944) is a linguist, Old Testament scholar, Dean of Faculty and professor of Old Testament professor of Japan Bible Seminary. His degrees are M.Div., M.A., Ph.D. He is a chairman of the Tokyo Museum of Biblical Archaeology, and editor of Exegetica: Studies in Biblical Exegesis and chairman of New Japanese Bible（新改訳）Publishing Association. Most notably responsible for the commentary on the First Book of Samuel in the New International Commentary on the Old Testament series.
David Toshio Tsumura
February 4, 1944
Kobe, Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan
|Occupation||Dean of Faculty and professor of Old Testament professor of Japan Bible Seminary|
|Board member of||Chairman of the Tokyo Museum of Biblical Archaeology|
|Education||Hitotsubashi University, Asbury Theological Seminary|
|Alma mater||Brandeis University (Ph.D.)|
|Discipline||Biblical studies, Japanese linguist|
|Sub-discipline||Old Testament studies|
University of Michigan
University of Tsukuba
Japan Bible Seminary
|Main interests||Old Testament|
|Notable works||The First Book of Samuel (NICOT)|
He was born in Kobe in 1944. He graduated from Hitotsubashi University in 1966, where he had majored in Commerce. He went to America to study non theological subject. While studying ethics, he became interested in Old Testament study. He applied to Asbury Theological Seminary to study for an M.Div., graduating in 1969. He then applied to Brandeis University for a research master's degree in Mediterranean Studies, which he completed in 1971. Tsumura's doctorate, also in Mediterranean Studies, was also awarded by the same university in 1973, for his work on Ugarit.
After he graduated from Brandeis University in 1974, he came back to Japan. Then he became a professor of Japan Bible Seminary as a lecturer in Old Testament.
He became an Associate Professor of Semitic Linguistics of University of Tsukuba from 1975 to 1990. He taught Literature and Linguistics. He came back to Japan Bible Seminary in 1990.
He is known as a world-wide scholar. He served at Harvard University, Divinity School as a visiting scholar from 1973 to 1974. He also worked at University of Michigan as a visiting scholar in 1979.
- Tsumura, David Toshio (1969). Symbolism of the Sea in the Old Testament (M.Th.). Asbury Theological Seminary. OCLC 1000388075.
- ——— (1973). The Ugaritic Drama of the Good Gods: a philological study (Ph.D.). Brandeis University. OCLC 22753778.
- ——— (1989). The Earth and Waters in Genesis 1 and 2: a linguistic investigation. Journal for the Study of the Old Testament, Supplement Series. 83. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press. ISBN 9781850752080. OCLC 59885960.
- ——— (2005). Creation and Destruction: A Reappraisal of the Chaoskampf Theory in the Old Testament (2nd ed.). Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns. ISBN 9781575065632. OCLC 747412028.
- ——— (2007). The First Book of Samuel. New International Commentary on the Old Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. ISBN 9780802823595. OCLC 76897659.
- Tsumura, David Toshio (2007), The First Book of Samuel, New International Commentary on the Old Testament, Grand Rapids: Eerdmans
- "Bible World". tmba-museum.jp.
- "Kyoto academic page". kyoto-su.ac.jp.
- "Booksellers page for Smauel commentary". bookschristian.com.
- "Publisher's page of reviews of Samuel". eerdmans.com. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- Peter C. Craigie, Ugarit and the Old Testament, Japanese Translation by David Toshio Tsumura, Eerdmand Publishing Company,1983
- article of news paper(基督日報)in Chinese