David Smith (journalist and author)
- This article is about the journalist and author who has been Economics Editor of the UK Sunday Times since 1989. For the journalist who is Africa Correspondent of The Guardian in 2014, see David Smith (journalist). For other uses of David Smith, see David Smith.
David Henry Smith (born 3 April 1954) is a British journalist and author, specialising in economics. He has been economics editor of The Sunday Times since 1989, where he writes a weekly column. He is also an assistant editor and policy adviser. He is a visiting professor at the University of Wales where he delivered his first lecture in 2007.
David Henry Smith
3 April 1954
|The Sunday Times|
Smith was born in the West Midlands, and grew up in West Bromwich. He was introduced to economics while at West Bromwich Grammar School. He then studied further at Cardiff University, Oxford University and London.
Smith started as an economic report writer for Lloyds Bank, before moving to a forecasting role at the Henley Centre. He then became an economics/business writer for Now! magazine, economics/deputy editor for Financial Weekly before moving to News International and becoming economics correspondent of The Times in 1984. In 1989, he moved to sister publication The Sunday Times as economics editor and has since expanded his role to be a policy advisor and assistant editor. He also runs his own website -
EconomicsUK.com - delivering economic commentary in blog style. Smith is also a regular speaker at business and academic events.
- 2004 - Harold Wincott Award for Senior Financial Journalist of the Year
- 2008 - British Press Awards - Highly Commended Feature Writer of the Year (https://www.theguardian.com/media/organgrinder/2008/apr/08/britishpressawards2008)
- 2007 - British Press Awards - Shortlisted in Finance/Business Category (https://www.theguardian.com/media/2007/feb/27/pressandpublishing4)
- Mrs. Thatcher's Economics - 1988
- The Rise and Fall of Monetarism - 1991
- From Boom to Bust - Trial and Error in UK Economic Policy - 1992
- North and South - Britain's Economic Divide - 1994
- Will Europe Work - 1999
- The Dragon and The Elephant - 2007
- Free Lunch - Easily Digestible Economics - 2008
- The Age of Instability - 2010
- ARLA Speaker Profile - David Smith - http://www.arla.co.uk/events/news_details.aspx?id=150
- Cardiff Business School - International Advisory Panel - http://www.cf.ac.uk/carbs/industry/advisory.html
- Previous Lectures - Cardiff Business School - http://www.cf.ac.uk/carbs/news_events/events/past/lectures.html
- EconomicsUK.com Homepage - http://www.economicsuk.com/blog/
- Press Gazette - Financial journalists in tie for Wincott award 14 May 2004 - http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?storyCode=25749§ioncode=1
- Profile Books - The Dragon and The Elephant - http://www.profilebooks.com/title.php?titleissue_id=497 Archived 2008-05-02 at the Wayback Machine
- Profile Books - Free Lunch - http://www.profilebooks.com/title.php?titleissue_id=552[permanent dead link]
- Profile Books - The Age of Instability - http://www.profilebooks.com/title.php?titleissue_id=647[permanent dead link]
- EconomicsUK.com - David Smith's personal blog.