This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
David Pierre Ruelle (French: [ʁɥɛl]; born 20 August 1935) is a Belgian-French mathematical physicist. He has worked on statistical physics and dynamical systems. With Floris Takens, Ruelle coined the term strange attractor, and founded a new theory of turbulence.
David P. Ruelle
|Alma mater||Université Libre de Bruxelles|
Institute for Advanced Study
Institut des Hautes Études Scientifiques
Education and careerEdit
Ruelle studied physics at the Université Libre de Bruxelles, obtaining a Ph.D. degree in 1959 (prepared at ETH Zurich ). He spent two years (1960–1962) at the ETH Zurich, and another two years (1962–1964) at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey. In 1964, he became Professor at the Institut des Hautes Études Scientifiques (IHES), in Bures-sur-Yvette, France. Since 2000, he is an Emeritus Professor at IHES and distinguished visiting professor at Rutgers University.
Awards and honorsEdit
In 1985, Ruelle was awarded the Dannie Heineman Prize for Mathematical Physics. In 1986, he received the Boltzmann Medal for his outstanding contributions to statistical mechanics, and in 1993 the Holweck Prize. In 2004, he received the Matteucci Medal, and in 2006 the Henri Poincaré Prize. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society. In 2014, he was awarded the Max Planck Medal for his achievements in theoretical physics.
- (1969) Statistical Mechanics: Rigorous Results, World Scientific
- (1978) Thermodynamic formalism : the mathematical structures of classical equilibrium statistical mechanics, Addison-Wesley. ISBN 0-201-13504-3.; (1984) Cambridge: University Press ISBN 0-521-30225-0. 2e (2004) Cambridge: University Press ISBN 0-521-54649-4
- (1989) Elements of differentiable dynamics and bifurcation theory, Academic Press.
- (1991) Chance and Chaos, Princeton University Press
- (2007) The Mathematician's Brain, Princeton University Press
- Ruelle, David; Takens, Floris (1971). "On the nature of turbulence". Communications in Mathematical Physics. 20 (3): 167–192. Bibcode:1971CMaPh..20..167R. doi:10.1007/bf01646553.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-07-07.
- "Preisträgerinnen und Preisträger 2014" [Laureates and award winners 2014] (in German). Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- Lieb, Elliott (1970). "Review: Statistical mechanics by D. Ruelle" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 76 (4): 683–688. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1970-12505-8.
- Babbitt, D. G. (1979). "Review: Thermodynamic formalism by D. Ruelle" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 1 (6): 931–935. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1979-14695-0.
- Shub, Michael (1991). "Review: Elements of differentiable dynamics and bifurcation theory by D. Ruelle" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 24 (1): 199–211. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1991-15989-6.