David Rock (historian)
David Peter Rock (born 8 April 1945) is a Latin Americanist historian, who specializes in the history of Argentina. He is a professor at the Department of History at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
He was born in Blackburn, Lancashire, England and taught briefly in Burnley before studying at St John's College, Cambridge, where he was awarded a Ph.D in 1971. He worked as a Research Officer at the Institute of Latin American Studies in London from 1970 to 1974. He moved to the U.S. to teach at the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he was promoted to Professor in 1978.  He married Rosalind Farrar in 1968, with whom he had two sons.
He has been described as a "leading scholar in the field" of 19th-century Argentine political history. His history of the country from the sixteenth to the twentieth centuries was adjudged as "a comprehensive, clearly written and intelligent account of the evolution of Argentina which will undoubtedly remain the standard work for years to come." Rock's first book, Politics in Argentina, 1890-1930: The Rise and Fall of Radicalism won the Conference on Latin American History Bolton Prize for the best book in English. He is professor emeritus of History at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
List of worksEdit
- Rock, David (2002), State Building and Political Movements in Argentina, 1860-1916, Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
- Rock, David, ed. (1994), Latin America in the 1940s. War and Post War Transitions, Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Rock, David (1992), Authoritarian Argentina. The Nationalist Movement: Its History and its Impact, Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Rock, David (1987), Argentina, 1516-1987. From Spanish Colonization to Alfonsín, Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Rock, David (1975), Politics in Argentina, 1890-1930. The Rise and Fall of Radicalism, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Boyd, Kelly. Encyclopedia of Historians and Historical Writing, Volume 1. p. 1000.
- Rock, David (June 2003), "Review of State Building and Political Movements in Argentina, 1860–1916", The American Historical Review, 108 (3), doi:10.1086/ahr/108.3.889, JSTOR 10.1086/529703, archived from the original on 2007-08-29
- Little, Walter (1987), "Review of Argentina 1516-1982, from Spanish Colonization to the Falklands War", History Today
-  Homepage at UCSB.
|This article about a British historian or genealogist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|