David Ogilvy, 12th Earl of Airlie
The Earl of Airlie
David Lyulph Gore Wolseley Ogilvy, Lord Ogilvy
18 July 1893
Cahir, County Tipperary, Ireland
|Died||28 December 1968(aged 75)|
Lady Alexandra Coke (m. 1917)
|Parents||David Ogilvy, 11th Earl of Airlie|
Lady Mabell Gore
|Occupation||Peer, soldier, courtier|
He was the eldest son of David Ogilvy, 11th Earl of Airlie, and his wife, the former Lady Mabell Gore. He inherited his father's titles in 1900 at the age of six, and was one of the trainbearers to Mary of Teck at her coronation in 1911. He became a Representative Peer for Scotland in 1922, was appointed a Lord-in-waiting in Stanley Baldwin's government in 1926, and was made a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order in 1929.
In 1937, he became Lord Lieutenant of Angus and was appointed Lord Chamberlain to Queen Elizabeth in 1937. As a senior member of the royal household, he was a guest at the 1947 wedding of Princess Elizabeth and Philip Mountbatten, Duke of Edinburgh. In 1938, he was elevated to Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, made a Knight of the Order of the Thistle in 1942 and was appointed Chancellor of the Order of the Thistle in 1956.
On 17 July 1917, Lord Airlie married Lady Alexandra Coke (d. 1984), second daughter of Thomas Coke, 3rd Earl of Leicester, and they had six children, twenty-one grandchildren, and twenty-nine great-grandchildren:
- Lady Victoria Jean Marjorie Mabell Ogilvy (21 September 1918 – 23 September 2004); married Alexander Lloyd, 2nd Baron Lloyd, on 24 January 1942. They have three children:
- The Hon. Davinia Margaret Lloyd (b. 13 March 1943)
- The Hon. Charles George David Lloyd (4 April 1949 – 1974)
- The Hon. Laura Blanche Bridget Lloyd (b. 7 March 1960)
- Lady Margaret Helen Isla Marion Ogilvy (23 July 1920 – 22 January 2014); married Iain Tennant on 11 July 1946. They have three children and six grandchildren.
- Lady Griselda Davinia Roberta Ogilvy (12 June 1924 – 8 June 1977); married Major Peter Balfour on 6 November 1948 and they were divorced in 1968. They have three children.
- David George Coke Patrick Ogilvy, 13th Earl of Airlie (b. 17 May 1926); married Virginia Fortune Ryan on 23 October 1952. They have six children and eleven grandchildren.
- The Hon. Sir Angus James Bruce Ogilvy (14 September 1928 – 26 December 2004); married Princess Alexandra of Kent on 24 April 1963. They have two children and four grandchildren.
- The Hon. James Donald Diarmid Ogilvy (b. 1934); married Magdalen Jane Ruth Ducas on 2 July 1959 and they were divorced in 1980. They have four children and eight grandchildren. He remarried Lady Caroline Child-Villiers (daughter of the 9th Earl of Jersey) in 1980.
He retired from the Regular Army in 1921, but joined the 5th Battalion (4th/5th Battalion from 1922), Black Watch (Territorial Army) as a Major. He was Lieutenant-Colonel commanding from 1924–29, being promoted Colonel in 1928. In 1940 he was commissioned Lieutenant-Colonel in the Scots Guards, reverting at his own request to the rank of Major until 1942. He resigned his commission in 1948. He was Commandant of the Army Cadet Forces, Scotland in 1943. He was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws (LL.D) by the University of St Andrews in 1958.
- Lundy, Darryl. "Profile". ThePeerage.com. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- Royal Collection: Seating plan for the Ball Supper Room, royalcollection.org.uk; accessed 7 April 2016.
- Time Magazine report on the 1924 Grand National, time.com, 7 April 1924.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Airlie
The Lord Somers
|New title|| Lord Chamberlain to The Queen
The Earl of Dalhousie
The Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
| Lord Lieutenant of Angus
The Earl of Dalhousie
The Lord Elphinstone
| Chancellor of the Order of the Thistle
The Duke of Buccleuch
|Peerage of Scotland|
| Earl of Airlie