David Bennett Madigan (born 11 December 1962) is an Irish and American statistician and academic. He is currently Provost and Senior Vice-President for Academic Affairs at Northeastern University. Previously he was Professor of Statistics at Columbia University. From 2013 to 2018 he was also the Executive Vice-President for Arts and Sciences and Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and from 2008 to 2013 he served as Chair of the Department of Statistics, both at Columbia University. He was Dean of Physical and Mathematical Sciences at Rutgers University (2005-2007), Director of the Institute of Biostatistics at Rutgers University (2003-2004), and Professor in the Department of Statistics at Rutgers University (2001-2007).
|Provost and Senior Vice-President for Academic Affairs, Northeastern University|
|Assumed office |
June 5, 2020
|Preceded by||James C. Bean|
|Executive Vice-President of Arts and Sciences, Columbia University|
1 September 2013 – 31 August 2018
|Preceded by||Nicholas B. Dirks|
|Succeeded by||Maya Tolstoy|
|Born||11 December 1962|
|Alma mater||Trinity College Dublin|
Dr. Madigan received his bachelor's degree in Mathematical Sciences (1984, First Class Honours, Gold Medal) and a Ph.D. in Statistics (1990), both from Trinity College Dublin. His Ph.D. thesis, titled An Investigation of Weights of Evidence in the Context of Probablilistic Expert Systems, was written under the supervision of Krzysztof Mosurski.
Madigan began his academic career in the 1990s at the University of Washington where he was an Assistant and then Associate Professor of Statistics. He received the University's Distinguished Teaching Award in 1995. Dr. Madigan has also served as Vice President, Data Mining, Soliloquy, Inc. (2000-2001), Principal Technical Staff Member, AT&T Labs-Research (1999-2000), Information Technology Consultant, KPMG (1989-1990), Technology Manager, Peregrine Expert Systems Ltd. (1986-1989), Expert System Consultant, SkillSoft, (1985-1986), and Actuarial Associate, Hibernian Life Assurance, Ireland (1984-1985).
Madigan is an elected Member of the International Statistical Institute (2014), a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (2012), a Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics (2006), and a Fellow of the American Statistical Association (1999). He has served as program co-chair for the FODS, KDD and AI-STATS conferences, Action Editor for the Journal of Machine Learning Research, Editor-in-Chief of Statistical Science, and Editor-in-Chief of Statistical Analysis and Data Mining, the ASA Data Science Journal.
He has over 200 publications in such areas as Bayesian statistics, text mining, Monte Carlo methods, pharmacovigilance and probabilistic graphical models. He has advised 18 Ph.D. students. In recent years he has focused on statistical methodology for generating reliable evidence from large-scale healthcare data. From 2011 to 2014 he was a member of the FDA's Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee.
- Diaz, Lauren (1 October 2013). "At Arts and Sciences helm, Madigan plans for collaboration - Columbia Daily Spectator". Columbiaspectator.com. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "David Madigan » Department Directory".
- "Welcome message from the Executive Vice President | Faculty of Arts and Sciences". Fas.columbia.edu. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- David Madigan at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Distinguished Teaching Award Previous award recipients". www.washington.edu. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "International Statistical Institute Members". www.isi-web.org. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Institute of Mathematical Statistics Honored Fellows". www.imstat.org. Archived from the original on 19 October 2016. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "American Statistical Association Fellows". www.amstat.org. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "ACM-IMS Foundations of Data Science Conference". www.acm.org. Retrieved 29 February 2020.
- "Proceedings of the Fifth ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining". www.acm.org. Retrieved 5 December 2019.
- "Workshops on AI and Statistics". www.gatsby.ucl.ac.uk. Retrieved 5 December 2019.
- "David Madigan's Publications from Google Scholar". Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "David Bennett Madigan". www.genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu. Retrieved 4 July 2020.
- Madigan, David; Stang, Paul E.; Berlin, Jesse A.; Schuemie, Martijn; Overhage, J. Marc; Suchard, Marc A.; Dumouchel, Bill; Hartzema, Abraham G.; Ryan, Patrick B. (2014). "A Systematic Statistical Approach to Evaluating Evidence from Observational Studies". Annual Review of Statistics and Its Application. www.annualreviews.org. 1 (1): 11–39. Bibcode:2014AnRSA...1...11M. doi:10.1146/annurev-statistics-022513-115645.
- "DSaRM Roster" (PDF). www.fda.gov. Retrieved 26 October 2016.