David John Ibbetson, FBA is a British legal scholar. He has been Regius Professor of Civil Law at the University of Cambridge since 2000, and President of Clare Hall, Cambridge since 2013. From 2009 until 2012 he served as the chairman of the Faculty of Law, Cambridge.
|8th President of Clare Hall, Cambridge|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Sir Martin Harris|
|Regius Professor of Civil Law |
University of Cambridge
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||David Eric Lothian Johnston|
David John Ibbetson
|Alma mater||Corpus Christi College, Cambridge|
|Awards||Fellow of the British Academy (2003)|
David Ibbetson obtained his MA and PhD in Law at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. In 1980, he became a Fellow and Tutor in Law at Magdalen College, Oxford. He returned to Corpus Christi in 2000, following his appointment as Regius Professor of Civil Law at the Faculty of Law in the University of Cambridge. He was elected to the British Academy in 2003. In 2004 he became Warden of Leckhampton, the College's site for postgraduate students. In August 2013 Ibbetson left Corpus Christi College when he became the eighth President of Clare Hall, Cambridge, succeeding Sir Martin Harris.
Ibbetson is a Roman lawyer, but his research also covers the history of English and European law. Whilst he has published on a wide range of subjects, his main work is in English and European legal history, and in particular on the historical relationship between English Common Law and the legal systems and legal thought of the rest of Europe.
- Oxford International Encyclopedia of Legal History [editor] (2009)
- Sir William Jones, Essay on the Law of Bailments [editor] (2007)
- Common Law and Ius Commune (Selden Society) (2001)
- A Historical Introduction to the Law of Obligations (1999)
- The Roman Law Tradition [editor] (1994)
- "Professor DJ Ibbetson". Faculty of Law, Cambridge University. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "Professor David Ibbetson Takes the Chair". Faculty of Law, Cambridge University. 31 March 2009. Archived from the original on 13 March 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- "Professor David Ibbetson". British Academy. Archived from the original on 2011-04-10. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "Election of Clare Hall President". Clare Hall, Cambridge University. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
David Eric Lothian Johnston
| Regius Professor of Civil Law
Sir Martin Harris
| President of Clare Hall, Cambridge
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|