David Houghton (cricketer)
|Full name||David Laud Houghton|
|Born||23 June 1957|
Bulawayo, Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland
|Test debut (cap 8)||18 October 1992 v India|
|Last Test||25 September 1997 v New Zealand|
|ODI debut (cap 6)||9 June 1983 v Australia|
|Last ODI||5 October 1997 v New Zealand|
|Domestic team information|
Source: , 2 October 2018
Houghton was born at Bulawayo in what was then the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland into a family of prosperous farmers. He was conscripted into the Rhodesian Armoured Car Regiment in 1975 and played his first professional cricket in the Army, representing the regiment in the National Championship of 1977. He rose to the rank of Major in the Rhodesian Army and retired as a Reserve Officer in the Royal Rhodesia Regiment in 1983.
Houghton holds the record for the highest Test score by a Zimbabwean, with his 266 against Sri Lanka in 1994/5. He still holds the Test Match record for the most runs in a career without a duck, with 1,464. His most memorable one day international innings was against New Zealand in the 1987 Reliance World Cup, in which Houghton scored 142 runs off 137 deliveries with 13 fours and 6 sixes. This innings brought Zimbabwe to the brink of a surprise victory, but New Zealand won by only 3 runs, and is the highest score by an Associate Batsman against a Test playing nation, taking place as it did before Zimbabwe were granted Test Status. Since retiring as a player, Houghton has gone on to become a coach and commentator.
Before he was the coach of Derbyshire County Cricket Club he coached Radlett Cricket Club in Hertfordshire. Whilst in this role his best achievement was taking Radlett to victory in the Evening Standard trophy which is London's most prestigious cricket competition.
He was appointed to a newly created role as Head of Cricket by Derbyshire in September 2018 which took effect in October.
- Dave Houghton was a great sportsman in and beyond cricket, CricInfo.
- Lynch, Steven. "Who now holds the record for the most Test runs without a duck". Ask Steven - Cricinfo.com. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- Reliance World Cup - 4th match, Group A
- "NEW ZEALAND v ZIMBABWE". Cricinfo. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- "Houghton takes on New Zealand". Cricinfo. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- Dave Houghton quits Derbyshire
- David Houghton rejoins Derbyshire in batting role
- "Cricket Records | Records | World Cup | Highest partnerships by wicket | ESPN Cricinfo". Cricinfo. Archived from the original on 19 February 2017. Retrieved 28 April 2017.
- "4th Match: New Zealand v Zimbabwe at Hyderabad (Deccan), Oct 10, 1987 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo". Cricinfo. Retrieved 28 April 2017.