Furnish in 2009
David James Furnish
25 October 1962
|Residence||Old Windsor, Berkshire, England|
|Education||Sir John A. Macdonald Collegiate Institute (1981)|
University of Western Ontario (1985)
|Occupation||Film maker, producer, director|
Elton John (m. 2014)
Life and careerEdit
David Furnish was born in Toronto, Ontario, to Jack Furnish, a director at the Bristol-Myers pharmaceutical company, and Gladys Furnish. He has an older brother, John, and a younger brother, Peter. Furnish graduated from the Sir John A. Macdonald Collegiate Institute in 1981 and received an Honours Business Administration undergraduate degree from the Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario in 1985. He was recruited by the advertising agency Ogilvy & Mather, eventually transferred to the London, England, office and was appointed to their Board.
Furnish is co-chief of Rocket Pictures along with John. Furnish serves on the board of the Elton John AIDS Foundation, attending fundraisers and other events in support of that cause.
Furnish began a relationship with singer Elton John in 1993. John proposed to Furnish in May 2005 at a dinner party with friends and family at one of their homes in Old Windsor. Furnish and John entered into a civil partnership on 21 December 2005, the first day that civil partnerships could be performed in England, in the town of Windsor, Berkshire. Their first child, son Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John, was born in December 2010 in California via surrogacy. In January 2013, the couple's second son, Elijah Joseph Daniel Furnish-John, was born through the same surrogate. After same-sex marriage became legal in England and Wales in March 2014, John and Furnish retroactively converted their civil partnership into a marriage and marked the occasion with a ceremony in Windsor, Berkshire, on 21 December 2014, the ninth anniversary of their civil partnership.
- Tantrums and Tiaras; director (1997)
- Women Talking Dirty; producer (1999)
- Desert Flower; co-producer (1999)
- Kofi Annan: Center of the Storm; executive producer (2002)
- Fame and Fashion: Inside Gucci – Sex and Fashion; director, script writer (2002)
- Fame and Fashion: Inside Versace – Fame and Fashion; director, script writer (2002)
- It's a Boy Girl Thing; producer (2006)
- Pride and Predator; producer (announced 2009)
- Gnomeo & Juliet; producer (2011)
- Billy Elliot the Musical Live; executive producer (2014)
- Virtuoso; executive producer (2015)
- Sherlock Gnomes; producer (2018)
- Spectacle: Elvis Costello with...; producer (2008)
- Billy Elliot the Musical; executive producer (March 2005)
- Talk Talk. "David Furnish bio at TalkTalk.co.uk". Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- Maev Kennedy and agencies (2014-12-21). "Elton John marries his long-term partner David Furnish". The Guardian. Retrieved 2018-06-04.
- "Photos: Sir Elton John and David Furnish marry · PinkNews". Pinknews.co.uk. 2014-12-21. Retrieved 2018-06-04.
- "Pride grand marshal David Furnish reflects on growing up gay in a very different Toronto". Toronto Star. June 26, 2015. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- "Elton John and David Furnish are dads". CNN. 28 December 2010. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Special Announcement". 16 January 2013. Archived from the original on 20 January 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Sir Elton John and David Furnish marry". BBC. 21 December 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "'That's the legal bit done. Now on to the ceremony!' Elton John and David Furnish tie the knot on ninth anniversary of their civil partnership". Daily Mail. 21 December 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "50 Best Dressed Men in Britain 2015". GQ. 5 Jan 2015. Archived from the original on 7 January 2015.