David Henry Fromkin (August 27, 1932 – June 11, 2017) was an American author, lawyer, and historian, best known for his historical account on the Middle East, A Peace to End All Peace (1989), in which he recounts the role European powers played between 1914 and 1922 in creating the modern Middle East. The book was a finalist for both the National Book Critics Circle Award and the Pulitzer Prize. Fromkin has written seven books in total, with his most recent in 2007, The King and the Cowboy: Theodore Roosevelt and Edward the Seventh, Secret Partners
|Died||June 11, 2017 (aged 84)|
New York, New York
|Alma mater||University of Chicago|
Pardee School of Global Studies
David Fromkin was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on August 27, 1932. He died in New York City on June 11, 2017.
A graduate of the University of Chicago and the University of Chicago Law School, he was Professor Emeritus of History and International Relations, and Law at the Pardee School of Global Studies at Boston University, where he was also the Director of The Frederick S. Pardee Center for the Study of the Long-Range Future. He is also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations.
Before his career as a historian, Prof. Fromkin was an attorney and political adviser. In the 1972 Democratic primary campaign, he served as a foreign-policy adviser to candidate Hubert Humphrey. As an attorney, he served as both prosecutor and defense counsel in the Army Judge Advocate General's Corps, then as an associate at the law firm of Simpson Thacher & Bartlett.
|Booknotes interview with Fromkin on In the Time of the Americans, October 22, 1995, C-SPAN|
|Presentation by Fromkin on The Way of the World, March 1, 1999, C-SPAN|
- A Peace to End All Peace: Creating the Modern Middle East, 1914–1922 (1989) ISBN 0-8050-0857-8, ISBN 0-8050-6884-8 (paperback)
- “Britain, France, and the Diplomatic Agreements.” In The Creation of Iraq, 1914–1921, ed. Reeva Spector Simon and Eleanor H. Tejirian, 134–145. New York: Columbia University press, 2004.
- Europe's Last Summer: Who started the Great War in 1914? (2004) ISBN 0-375-41156-9, ISBN 0-375-72575-X (paperback)
- In the Time of the Americans: FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Marshall, MacArthur, The Generation That Changed America's Role in the World (1995) ISBN 0-394-58901-7, ISBN 0-679-76728-2 (paperback)
- The Independence of Nations (1981)
- The Importance of T. E. Lawrence. From The New Criterion Vol. 10, No. 1, September 1991.
- The Question of Government: An Inquiry into the Breakdown of Modern Political Systems (1975)
- "The King and the Cowboy: Theodore Roosevelt and Edward the Seventh, Secret Partners" (2007)
- The Way of the World (1998)
- Roberts, Sam (June 15, 2017). "David Fromkin, Professor and Author on Mideast, Dies at 84". The New York Times. Retrieved June 20, 2017.
- Obituary. "RIP: Prof. David Fromkin Dies at 84". Retrieved June 14, 2017.
- Chomsky, Noam. "Chomsky.info". Retrieved July 14, 2013.