David Fernández Borbalán
David Fernández Borbalán (born 30 May 1973) is a retired Spanish football referee. His first match officiating in La Liga was on 12 September 2004, between Levante UD and Racing de Santander. Borbalán also refereed a key match in Synot liga season 2014–15 between AC Sparta Prague and FC Viktoria Plzeň on 9 May 2015.
30 May 1973|
He was chosen, upon validation from FIFA, to referee the 2018 Greek Cup final between AEK and PAOK at the Olympic Stadium in Athens, amidst concerns over supporter riots and violence during the game and despite protests by Greek football chairmen and refereeing bodies over the appointment of non-Greek officials. Two weeks later, he took charge of his final La Liga fixture, a 1–0 win for RCD Espanyol over Athletic Bilbao at San Mamés in a match which meant little to the fortunes of the teams involved but was played at a venue specified as being preferred by the referee for his last appointment.
- El Mundo (Spain). "Liga 2008-2009".
- Real Federación Andaluza de Fútbol. "El almeriense Fernández Borbalán pitará esta semana en la liga checa".
- "ΑΕΚ-ΠΑΟΚ: Έγκυρος ο ορισμός Μπορμπαλάν στον τελικό, ετοιμάζουν αντίδραση οι Έλληνες διαιτητές" [AEK-PAOK: Valladolid defeats Borblanc in the final, Greek referees react]. Onsports.gr (in Greek). 2018-05-10. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
- "PAOK Lift Greek Cup, Take Revenge on AEK". 12 May 2018. Retrieved 6 October 2018.
- "El Athletic agradece a Fernández Borbalán que eligiera San Mamés para decir adiós" [Athletic thanks Fernandez Borbalán who chose San Mamés to say goodbye]. 15 May 2018. Retrieved 6 October 2018.