David Ian Beaver is a professor of linguistics and philosophy at the University of Texas at Austin, where he also directs the cognitive science program and serves as Graduate Studies Advisor of the Human Dimensions of Organizations Master's program. His work concerns the semantics and pragmatics of natural languages, including, in particular, research on presupposition, anaphora, topic and focus.
David Ian Beaver
|Education||University of Edinburgh|
|Presupposition and Assertion in Dynamic Semantics|
Education and careerEdit
Beaver received a B.Sc. in 1988 from the Departments of Physics and Philosophy at the University of Bristol, an M.Sc. in 1989 from the Department of Artificial Intelligence at the University of Edinburgh, and a Ph.D. in 1995 from the Centre for Cognitive Science also at the University of Edinburgh, where his principal advisor was Ewan Klein and his secondary advisor was Robin Cooper. Beaver was an assistant professor (1997-2005) and an associate professor (2005-2007) at Stanford University before he was hired as an associate professor by the University of Texas at Austin in 2007. Beaver was promoted to full professor by UT Austin in 2011.
In addition to his work in formal semantics and pragmatics, Beaver contributes to research on the social dimensions of language use, a topic of quite general interest as evidenced by a 29 October 2011 New York Times op-ed by Ben Zimmer, which discusses Beaver's work on sentiment in Arab Spring tweets.
- Beaver, David. 2001. Presupposition and Assertion in Dynamic Semantics. Stanford: CSLI Publications.
- Beaver, David and Brady Clark. 2008. Sense and Sensitivity: How Focus Determines Meaning. Oxford: Blackwell.
- "UT College of Liberal Arts". Utexas.edu. Archived from the original on 1 July 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "UT College of Liberal Arts". Utexas.edu. Archived from the original on 5 June 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Human Dimensions of Organizations —". Sites.la.utexas.edu. 21 November 2013. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "David Beaver - Faculty Profile - EUREKA". Utexas.edu. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "ILCC Alumni — Institute for Language, Cognition and Computation". Ilcc.inf.ed.ac.uk. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- Beaver, David. "Résumé" (PDF). Retrieved 27 November 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Milestones in Linguistics". UT Department of Linguistics News. UT College of Liberal Arts. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Zimmer, Ben (29 October 2011). "Twitterology -- A New Science?". The New York Times Sunday Review. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- David Beaver at University of Texas at Austin