David Anthony Higgins
David Anthony Higgins (born December 9, 1961) is an American actor. He is known for his television roles of Craig Feldspar on Malcolm in the Middle, Joe on Ellen, and Reginald Bitters on Big Time Rush. He also recurred on the television series Mike & Molly as Harry.
David Anthony Higgins
|Born||December 9, 1961|
Des Moines, Iowa, U.S.
|Residence||Studio City, California|
|Other names||David Higgins |
Life and careerEdit
David Anthony Higgins was born on December 9, 1961, in Des Moines, Iowa, one of five children of Marian Higgins (née Coppola; 1932–2011) and Harold Higgins, who was a janitor at West Des Moines schools. After receiving encouragement from a fourth-grade teacher, he won a scholarship to the Des Moines Playhouse and performed in several summer operettas. He was raised in Des Moines and graduated from Theodore Roosevelt High School in 1980. He attended the University of Iowa, where he studied liberal arts until he realized he wanted to pursue a career in entertainment.
Along with his brothers Steve and Alan, he performed in a comedy troupe, Don't Quit Your Day Job, and performed at notable places, including the Hotel Kirkwood. Eventually, they toured in other states including California and received such good reception that they got their own show on Comedy Central in 1989, The Higgins Boys and Gruber. After the show ended, they each started separate careers in comedy.
Higgins received his big break when cast in 1994 as outspoken barista Joe in the sitcom Ellen. He is perhaps most well recognized for his roles as Craig Feldspar in Malcolm in the Middle and Mr. Bitters in Big Time Rush. He also guest starred on Nickelodeon's True Jackson, VP as Dave. He appeared in 3 episodes as minor character Stan in American Horror Story: Murder House. He began recurring as Harry in season two of the CBS series Mike & Molly, and was then upgraded to a series regular in season three.
In 2000, he married Julia, and they have two children, Gabe and Janie. They live in Studio City, California. Jane lives in Des Moines, Iowa, and attends Roosevelt High School. In 2004, he was featured on a Hollywood edition of the Discovery Channel series Body Challenge, where he worked with a personal trainer. He is a fan of Laurel and Hardy and Buster Keaton.
|1987||Hiding Out||Student||as David Higgins|
|1988||Tapeheads||Visual Aplomb||as Dave Higgins|
|1996||The Moravian Massacre||William Irvine||Documentary film|
|1997||The Wrong Guy||Detective Arlen||also executive producer and writer|
|1998||Snake Eyes||Ned Campbell|
|2004||Three Blind Mice||Bruce Atkins / DMV Manager||Short film|
|2005||The Paperboy||Evil Project Manager #2||Short film; as David Higgins|
|2006||Venti Vice||Chip House||Short film; as David Higgins|
|2007||The Mediocre Samartan||Richard Paul Risvold||Short film|
|2007||When You Wish Upon a Fish||Shannon||Short film; as David Higgins|
|2008||The Great Buck Howard||Mark Simpson||as David Higgins|
|2014||State of Bacon||Bacon Dreamer|
|1990||After the Shock||Lieutenant Rich Allen||Television film|
|1994–1998||Ellen||Joe Farrell||Main role; 102 episodes|
|1995–1998||NewsRadio||Manager / Santa||Guest role; 3 episodes|
|1996||Malcolm & Eddie||Bill Fontaine||Episode: "Pilot"|
|1998||The Pretender||Kidnapper||Episode: "Stolen"; as Dave Higgins|
|1998||The Army Show||Master Sgt. Dave Hopkins||Main role; 13 episodes|
|1999||Judging Amy||Detective Bob Redlich||Episode: "Last Tango in Hartford"|
|2000–2006||Malcolm in the Middle||Craig Feldspar||Recurring role; 39 episodes|
|2003||My Wife and Kids||Alexander Burns||Episode: "Graduation: Part 1"|
|2006||Misconceptions||Recurring role; 4 episodes, as Dave Higgins|
|2006||Help Me Help You||Dr. Al "Big Beat" Higgins||Guest role; 2 episodes|
|2006||American Men||Tyler||Television film|
|2007||Big Day||Francis||Guest role; 2 episodes|
|2008||True Jackson, VP||Dave||Episode: "Ryan on Wheels"|
|2009||In the Motherhood||Iceman||Episode: "Bully"|
|2009–2013||Big Time Rush||Reginald Bitters||Recurring role; 41 episodes|
|2011||The Council of Dads||Troupe Leader||Television film|
|2011–2016||Mike & Molly||Harry||Recurring role; 27 episodes|
|2011||Last Man Standing||Bill Calhoun||Episode: "Last Halloween Standing"|
|2011||American Horror Story: Murder House||Stan||Guest role; 3 episodes|
|2012||Californication||John||Episode: "JFK to LAX"|
|2013||Wendell & Vinnie||Ray||Episode: "Baseball and Bad Dates"|
|2014–2015||International Ghost Investigators||Dave||Main role; 11 episodes, also writer and creator|
|2015||Comedy Bang! Bang!||Janitor||Episode: "Mark Duplass Wears a Striped Sweater and Jeans"|
|2017||Mom||George||Episode: "Lockjaw and a Liquid Diet"|
|2017||School of Rock||Gooch||Episode: "Leader of the Band"|
|2017||Stan Against Evil||Sheriff||Episode: "Curse of the Werepony"|
- Longden, Tom (2004-11-04). "Famous Iowans – David Anthony Higgins". desmoinesregister.com. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- "Comic team outshines its material". Minneapolis Star-Tribune. 1988-01-09. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- Curtis, Jared (2012-02-23). "A laughing matter". dmcityview.com. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- Shirley, Don (1988-09-09). "Testing Negative' at McCadden Place; Comedy-Improv Group at Cast; 'Supreme Bean' at Haunted Studios; 'Thorns of Fire' at Act One Stage". latimes.com. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- MacIntyre, April (2007-03-20). "M&C Interview: David Koechner/T-Bones, The Naked Trucker and 'Live At The Troubadour'". monstersandcritics.com. Archived from the original on 2013-12-30. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- Menzoda, N. F. (1995-07-16). "WITH AN EYE ON . . . : David Anthony Higgins is right at home as 'Ellen's' resident cynic". latimes.com. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- "Discovery Health's Body Challenge Goes to the Stars". cablefax.com. 2004-05-03. Archived from the original on 2013-02-15. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- "Christopher Knight, David Anthony Higgins, Erik Estrada, Kym Whitley, Charlene Tilton, Susan Olsen in Production on Discovery Health Channel's BODY CHALLENGE: HOLLYWOOD". prnewswire.com. 2003-10-20. Retrieved 2013-01-25.