Dave Edwards (linebacker)
David Monroe Edwards (December 14, 1939 – December 6, 2016) was an American football linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League. He played college football at Auburn University.
|Born:||December 14, 1939|
|Died:||December 6, 2016 (aged 76)|
Laguna Park, Texas
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||225 lb (102 kg)|
|High school:||Abbeville (AL)|
|AFL draft:||1962 / Round: 25 / Pick: 194|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Edwards attended Abbeville High School, where he played football and basketball. He attended Auburn University after high school. He was a two-way player who was used as an offensive end and defensive end. As a senior, he was named to the All-SEC team.
Edwards was selected by the Denver Broncos in the 25th round (194th overall) of the 1962 AFL Draft, but chose to sign with the NFL's Dallas Cowboys as a free agent in 1963. He started out as an offensive end on the taxi squad and was later converted to outside linebacker, after he gained 25 lbs (from 205 to 230). He started in 1963, when Chuck Howley was moved from strongside linebacker to weakside linebacker. Edwards, Howley, and Lee Roy Jordan at linebacker helped form the "Doomsday Defense".
Cowboys defensive assistant coach Ernie Stautner said "The best thing you can say about Edwards is that he's a pro. He plays while he's hurt and he still does an outstanding job. That's what a pro is".
Edwards died in his sleep on December 6, 2016, the day he was scheduled to undergo tests at a Waco hospital. Edwards' son, Chris, planned on burying both of his parents' ashes together. However, his house was robbed on March 20, 2017, and his mother Gail's ashes were taken by the burglar.
- "All-Southeast 1961". Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- "Six added to Alabama Sports Hall of Fame". Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- "Dallas Cowboy Great Dave Edwards Shares His Memories". Archived from the original on December 20, 2016. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- "Great, But Unnoticed ... One Players Story". Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- "Abbeville native and former NFL great Dave Edwards dies". Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- Eiserer, Tanya (March 29, 2017). "Burglars steal 'jewelry box' containing ashes of former Dallas Cowboy's wife". WFAA. Retrieved November 22, 2017.