|Alma mater||Emerson College|
|Known for||Justified, Star Trek: Picard|
For his work on the Justified television series Blass was nominated for the 2012 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Art Direction for a Single-Camera Series for the Justified television series, and also received nominations for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Contemporary Program (One Hour or More) for Justified in 2014 and again in 2015 for the Constantine television series. In 2015 he was also nominated for the Art Directors Guild Award for Excellence in Production Design for a One Hour Contemporary Television Series for Justified, He has twice been published with cover stories in Perspective Magazine, with a Oct/Nov 2009 article on his pre-visualization of the final shot for the ER television series, and February/March 2012 featuring an article on his production design of the Justified series. For his work accurately portraying the State of Kentucky on the Television program Justified he was awarded the honor of "Kentucky Colonel in 2011 by Governor Steven Beshear.
Blass grew up in Ashland, Massachusetts and graduated from the Ashland High School, where he wrote and directed his first film, A SADD Story, for "Students Against Drunk Driving" – which won a Reader's Digest contest. He also played soccer and baseball while at Ashland High. His film achievement in high school led to him receiving a scholarship to attend the Emerson College in Boston, where he majored in film production. He then moved to California and began working in the film and television industry – initially working under Roger Corman. He is married to Michelle Blass (Usling).
Production design and art direction for television seriesEdit
Production design for films includesEdit
- Black Scorpion episodes "Love Burns" and "Bad Sport"
- Sexual Matrix (originally titled Possessions and Obsessions)
- Being Emmanuelle
Director for music videosEdit
- Teutonic Terror and Pandemic & Producer Stampede (for the German heavy metal band Accept)
Executive producer for television seriesEdit
- Tedeshi, David (14 September 2012). "The Road to the Emmys". Shoot Online. Archived from the original on 20 September 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2012.
- "Outstanding Art Direction for a Single Camera Series Nominees / Winners 2012". Television Academy.
- "'American Sniper,' 'Birdman' Among Art Directors Guild Nominees". 5 January 2015.
- "ADG - Art Directors Guild / IATSE Local 800".
- "Perspective Magazine - Blass Articles by Dave Blass - Issuu".
- Fredrickson, Marc (12 June 2012). "Tight Production Schedule? Dave Blass delivers the shots". Form Fonts. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- Chris Bergeron (January 23, 2011). "Ashland grad sets the scene on 'Justified'". MetroWest Daily News.
- Jennifer Lord (February 18, 2007). "Ashland grad recognized for TV art direction work". MetroWest Daily News. Archived from the original on 2012-04-07.
- "ACCEPT - Teutonic Terror (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO)". YouTube.
- "ACCEPT - Pandemic (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO)". YouTube.
- "Maxon News".
- "ACCEPT – Video director Dave Blass reports".
- Architectural Digest: "Go Behind the Scenes of Pitch- Production designer Dave Blass gives AD a tour of the new Fox series"
- Architectural Digest: "Secrets and Lies Season Two Has a New Case and New Sets"
- Perspective Magazine July-Aug 2020
- Perspective Magazine July–August 2017
- Variety Magazine: Dave Blass on Mark Worthington
- Variety Magazine: Dave Blass on Derek Hill
- Variety Magazine: Dave Blass on Ray Yamagata
- Set Decorators Society of America: Justified
- Red Giant Software: "Rocking out with Toonit and Accept"
- Blabbermouth: "Behind the Scenes with Accept's Pandemic"
- Nuclear Blast Artist Accept's "Stamped"
- AMC's "The Phantom Eye" Review
- World Building Institute Member
- Dave Blass at IMDb
- Dave Blass official website