This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dave Benton (born 31 January 1951, birth name Efrén Eugene Benita) is a pop musician from Aruba who lives in Estonia. He is one of the 2001 winners of the Eurovision Song Contest. At the age of 50 years and 101 days at the time of his victory, Benton is the oldest singer ever to win Eurovision.
Dave Benton in 2009
|Birth name||Efrén Eugene Benita|
|Born||31 January 1951|
Born Efrén Eugene Benita in 1951 on the Caribbean island of Aruba, he went to local schools. He was fluent in English, Spanish and Papiamento, the creole language of the island. He married and had a daughter. In his 20s, he separated from his wife and moved to the United States. As a drummer and a backing vocalist, he worked with The Drifters, Tom Jones, Billy Ocean, José Feliciano and The Platters.
Benton has had a varied musical career in Northern European countries. He speaks eight languages: English, Spanish, Papiamento, Dutch, French, German, Portuguese, and Estonian. He performed in the German production of the musical City Lights, after which he was asked to replace Engelbert Humperdinck on his Australian tour.
Benton has released and produced quite a few albums already, one of which in his native tongue, Papiamento. He has had more of a career as a performing artist.
- Benton was a contestant at the 1981 OTI Festival (Ibero-American equivalent of the Eurovision contest) held in Mexico City; he represented the Netherlands Antilles with the song "Vaya un amigo" as Efrén Benita. He finished in 20th place at this contest.
- Benton won the Eurovision Song Contest for Estonia, before he had learned to speak Estonian.
- In 2010, Benton participated as a celebrity contestant on the fourth season of Tantsud tähtedega, an Estonian version of Dancing with the Stars. His professional dancing partner was Valeria Fetissova.
- He is a grandfather. His oldest daughter Nathaly, from his first marriage, has a girl called Tanisia.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dave Benton.|
- Dave Benton at Yahoo! Music
- Dave Benton at Estonian Bands Database
- Dave Benton on IMDb
- Aruba-born Dave Benton Joins with Tanel Padar for Top 2001 Eurovision Honors, Caribia Digest
- Dave Benton: 'I was asked in Estonia and Finland'
- Estonians record previews, Dave Benton is back!, Eurovision TV
|Awards and achievements|
with "Fly on the Wings of Love"
| Winner of the Eurovision Song Contest
(with Tanel Padar and 2XL)
with "I Wanna"
with "Once in a Lifetime"
| Estonia in the Eurovision Song Contest
(with Tanel Padar and 2XL)