Datalogics is a computer software company formed in 1967 and based in Chicago. The company licenses software development kits for working with PDF files and EPUB files, and has developed its own typesetting and database publishing software. Since 1996, Datalogics has also acted as a channel for several SDKs from Adobe Systems. These include the Adobe PDF Library and the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK.
|Founded||Chicago, Illinois, U.S.|
In 1967 Datalogics was founded as a general programming consulting company, developing one of the first computerized typesetting systems, and building editing workstations and software to drive them. In the 1980s the firm participated in the ISO committee to standardize SGML, the forerunner of XML and HTML, and applied this standard in the release of DL Pager, a high-volume SGML-based batch composition system, along with WriterStation, an SGML text editor. In 1987 the firm participated in the committee to develop the SGML portion of the CALS initiative.
In 1991 DL Composer, a Formatting Output Specification Instance (FOSI)-based batch composition system was released. Shortly after, Datalogics was acquired by Frame Technology and in 1995 Frame Technology (and Datalogics) was acquired by Adobe. In 1996 Adobe Ventures invested in Datalogics, a reincorporation under its original name as a privately held, independent entity.
In 1997 FrameLink, a FrameMaker plugin which connects to a Documentum content management repository was released. Soon following in 1998 DL Formatter, a Variable data printing application was introduced. In 1999 Adobe selected Datalogics to distribute Adobe PDF Library.
In 2004 Datalogics sold DL Formatter business to Printable Technologies Inc., and in 2010 Adobe selected Datalogics to distribute Adobe Reader Mobile SDK. Since then Datalogics has been working with Adobe, acting as a key channel for several of their PDF toolkits.
Datalogics licenses and supports toolkits for working with PDF and EPUB files, and technologies for database publishing systems. These products include the following:
- The Adobe PDF Library, an API for viewing, printing and manipulating PDF files
- DL Reader, a customizable eReader app for iOS, Android and Windows
- PDF WebAPI, a RESTful web services API for manipulating PDF files
- Adobe Reader Mobile SDK, an API for viewing EPUB and PDF eBooks on mobile devices
- Datalogics PDF Java Toolkit, a Java PDF SDK that provides a broad range of functionality for working with PDF files.
- Adobe Content Server, a server product that digitally protects PDF and reflowable EPUB eBooks for mobile devices and Adobe Digital Editions software
- ACS Cloud Service a cloud storage service to synchronize content, bookmarks and highlights across multiple devices for Adobe Content Server
- DL Pager, a batch-pagination SGML-based typesetting engine and database publishing application
- DL Composer, a FOSI-based composition engine
Datalogics PDF Java ToolkitEdit
Datalogics PDF Java Toolkit, formerly known as Adobe PDF Java Toolkit is a pure Java API developed at Adobe Systems as part of Adobe LiveCycle and available to application developers and systems integrators from Datalogics. Embed the functionality of PDF documents and forms within your own custom applications to automate business workflows.
Developers may use Datalogics PDF Java Toolkit to
- Wood, John M. (1995). Desktop magic: electronic publishing, document management, and workgroups. Van Nostrand Reinhold. p. 302. ISBN 9780442017729.
- Goldfarb, Charles F. (1990). The SGML Handbook. Oxford University Press. p. 570. ISBN 9780198537373.
- Infoworld Media Group (August 3, 1992). "Frame, Datalogics ink merger pact". InfoWorld. 14 (31): 17.
- Kasdorf, William E. (2003). The Columbia Guide to Digital Publishing. Columbia University Press. p. 281. ISBN 9780231124980.
- Walsh, Norman (1999). DocBook: The Definitive Guide, Volume 1. O'Reilly Media. p. 65. ISBN 9781565925809.
- Von Hagen, William (1997). SGML for Dummies. IDG Books. p. 284.
- Flynn, Peter (1998). Understanding SGML and XML tools: practical programs for handling structured text. Kluwer Academic Publishers. p. 363. ISBN 9780792381693.
- "Datalogics Partnership with SafeNet". SafeNet.