Darren Erdley Stewart (born 30 December 1990) is an English mixed martial artist. A professional competitor since 2013, he competed in the Middleweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship and Cage Warriors.
|Born||Darren Erdley Springer-Stewart|
30 December 1990
Poplar, East London, England
|Other names||The Dentist|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||84 kg (185 lb; 13 st 3 lb)|
|Reach||74 in (188 cm)|
|Team||The MMA Clinic|
|Rank||Black belt in Taekwondo |
Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Michael Russell
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Stewart was born in Poplar, East London, England. His father was from Jamaica and his mother was from St Vincent. Encouraged by his mum, Stewart started MMA training at 13 for self-defence due to the crime rate was high in London with the youth during that time. His friend Regan Lawrence was at The MMA Clinic at that time and invited him to try on MMA, even though his initial thought was "I’m not doing that crap, cage fighting. I’ve seen the blood on TV. No way", but he eventually found MMA full contact striking exciting, and thrived where he competed in the UK and abroad.
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
Stewart made his promotional debut on 17 September 2016, at UFC Fight Night: Bader vs. Nogueira 2 against Francimar Barroso at São Paulo, Brazil. Stewart was initially declared the winner of the fight via TKO, but the decision was overturned by Comissao Atletica Brasileira de MMA (CABMMA), after an appeal from Borroso, as a result from an accidental head butt prior Stewart rained down a series of heavy punches. The bout was finally declared as no contest. Calling for a rematch when UFC would return to London, Stewart was displeased with the CABMMA decision and commented "The entire situation stinks. I put a lot of time and money into this fight, won the fight, and his mates at the Brazilian MMA Commission overturned the decision. Fighting a Brazilian in Brazil is something that every fighter should think very strongly about. Had I lost and made an appeal to the Brazil commission, I doubt it would be overturned because I’m not from Brazil.”
After losing to Barroso in March 2017, Stewart announced he would compete in the middleweight division.
Stewart faced promotional newcomer Julian Marquez on 16 December 2017 at UFC on Fox 26. He lost the back-and-forth bout via submission in the second round. Even though he lost the fight, he was awarded a Fight of the Night bonus award.
Stewart faced Eric Spicely on 27 May 2018 at UFC Fight Night 130. He won the fight via technical knock out in the second round. The win earned him his first Performance of the Night award.
Stewart faced Deron Winn on 18 October 2019 at UFC on ESPN 6. At the weigh-in, Winn weighed in at 188.5 pounds, 2.5 pounds over the middleweight non-title fight limit of 186. The bout was held at catchweight and winn was fined 20% of his purse which went to their opponents Stewart. He won the fight via split decision.
Stewart was scheduled to face Marvin Vettori on 21 March 2020 at UFC Fight Night: Woodley vs. Edwards. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the UFC bout was moved to Cage Warriors 113 main event in which he faced Bartosz Fabiński instead. Stewart lost the fight via unanimous decision.
On August 31, 2021, it was announced that Stewart was released by UFC.
Stewart faced Mick Stanton at Cage Warriors 141 on July 22, 2022. He lost the bout via unanimous decision.
Stewart's moniker "The Dentist" refers to his opponents, whereby "He (his opponent) is just another patient who's gonna get drilled".
Championships and accomplishmentsEdit
Mixed martial artsEdit
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|23 matches||12 wins||9 losses|
|Loss||12–9 (2)||Mick Stanton||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Warriors 141||22 July 2022||3||5:00||London, England||Return to Middleweight.|
|Loss||12–8 (2)||Dustin Jacoby||TKO (punches)||UFC on ESPN: Barboza vs. Chikadze||28 August 2021||1||3:04||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||12–7 (2)||Eryk Anders||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 263||12 June 2021||3||5:00||Glendale, Arizona, United States||Return to Light Heavyweight.|
|NC||12–6 (2)||Eryk Anders||NC (illegal knee)||UFC Fight Night: Edwards vs. Muhammad||13 March 2021||1||4:37||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Anders landed an illegal knee to Stewart's head, who was a downed opponent.|
|Loss||12–6 (1)||Kevin Holland||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Covington vs. Woodley||19 September 2020||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–5 (1)||Maki Pitolo||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Oleinik||8 August 2020||1||3:41||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||11–5 (1)||Bartosz Fabiński||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Warriors 113||20 March 2020||3||5:00||Manchester, England|
|Win||11–4 (1)||Deron Winn||Decision (split)||UFC on ESPN: Reyes vs. Weidman||18 October 2019||3||5:00||Boston, Massachusetts, United States||Catchweight (188.5 lb) bout; Winn missed weight.|
|Win||10–4 (1)||Bevon Lewis||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 238||8 June 2019||3||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||9–4 (1)||Edmen Shahbazyan||Decision (split)||The Ultimate Fighter: Heavy Hitters Finale||30 November 2018||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–3 (1)||Charles Byrd||TKO (punches and elbows)||UFC 228||8 September 2018||2||2:17||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Win||8–3 (1)||Eric Spicely||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Thompson vs. Till||27 May 2018||2||1:47||Liverpool, England||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||7–3 (1)||Julian Marquez||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. dos Anjos||16 December 2017||2||2:42||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||7–2 (1)||Karl Roberson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Pettis||11 November 2017||1||3:41||Norfolk, Virginia, United States||Middleweight debut.|
|Loss||7–1 (1)||Francimar Barroso||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Manuwa vs. Anderson||18 March 2017||3||5:00||London, England|
|NC||7–0 (1)||Francimar Barroso||NC (overturned)||UFC Fight Night: Bader vs. Nogueira 2||19 November 2016||1||1:34||São Paulo, Brazil||Originally a TKO (punches) win for Stewart; overturned by CABMMA due to an inadvertent headbutt.|
|Win||7–0||Boubacar Balde||TKO (punches)||Cage Warriors 77||8 July 2016||3||1:28||London, England|
|Win||6–0||James Hurrell||TKO (punches)||Cage Warriors 75||15 April 2016||1||0:37||London, England|
|Win||5–0||Grégory Pierre||Decision (unanimous)||Killacam Fight Night 9||12 December 2015||3||5:00||Kent, England||Defended the Killacam Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||4–0||Carl Kinslow||KO (knee)||Killacam Fight Night 8||4 July 2015||1||4:56||Kent, England||Won the Killacam Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||3–0||Lloyd Clarkson||Decision (unanimous)||Warrior Fight Series 3||23 May 2015||3||5:00||London, England|
|Win||2–0||Pelu Adetola||TKO (knees)||Cage Warriors 74||15 November 2014||1||2:24||London, England|
|Win||1–0||Michael Revenscroft||TKO (elbows)||Cage Warriors 69||7 June 2014||1||1:23||London, England|
- "MIND THE GAP". Battles of London. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Intensiti Fighter Management". intensitifightermanagement.com. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Darren Stewart". UFC. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- Tim Bissell (16 November 2016). "UFC debutante Stewart: 'I hated cagefighting'". Bloody Elbow.
- @darren_mma (3 December 2019). ""Well well well you never guess who's gone and received their purple belt? (...)"". Retrieved 8 August 2020 – via Instagram.
- Mixed martial arts show results Date: August 8, 2020
- "UFC debutante Stewart: 'I hated cagefighting'". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Darren Stewart". Tapology. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Killacam Fight Night 9: Invasion". Tapology. Archived from the original on 12 September 2017. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Francimar Barroso vs Darren Stewart UFC Fight Night 100 Full Fight MMA Video". MMA-Core. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- Rodger, Stuart (22 November 2016). "Darren Stewart has UFC win struck off after Borroso appeal - MMA Plus". MMA Plus. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Darren Stewart's UFC Fight Night 100 TKO of Francimar Barroso flipped to no-contest by Brazil commission". MMAjunkie. 22 November 2016. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Stewart on London opponent: 'He could drop dead for all I care'". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Darren Stewart Blasts Brazilian Commission for Being Biased | MMAWeekly.com". www.mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Francimar Barroso vs. Darren Stewart rematch set for UFC Fight Night 108 in London | MMA Mad". MMA Mad. 20 December 2016. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "UFC Fight Night 107 results: Francimar Barroso tops Darren Stewart in grinding rematch". MMAjunkie. 18 March 2017. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Following bizarre start to UFC career, Darren Stewart announces move to middleweight". MMAjunkie. 27 March 2017. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "Karl Roberson to make UFC debut against Darren Stewart at UFC Fight Night 120". FanSided. 6 August 2017. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- DNA, MMA (6 August 2017). "Engelsman Darren Stewart treft Karl Roberson tijdens UFC Norfolk". MMA DNA. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "UFC Fight Night 120 results: Karl Roberson stays perfect, taps out Darren Stewart". MMAjunkie. 12 November 2017. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- Peter Carroll (4 December 2017). "Several changes announced for UFC on FOX 26". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "UFC on FOX 26 results: Julian Marquez impresses in UFC debut, choking out Darren Stewart". MMAjunkie. 17 December 2017. Retrieved 17 December 2017.
- "UFC on FOX 26 bonuses: Julian Marquez, Darren Stewart awarded for back-and-forth brawl". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 17 December 2017.
- Staff (20 March 2018). "Darren Stewart vs. Eric Spicely headed to UFC Fight Night 130 in Liverpool". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "UFC Fight Night 130 results: Fifth time the charm for Darren Stewart, who stops Eric Spicely for first UFC win". MMAjunkie. 27 May 2018. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "UFC Fight Night 130 bonuses: Darren Stewart's emotional win nets him $50,000 extra". MMAjunkie. 27 May 2018. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- Mark Francescutti (18 July 2018). "UFC 228 in Dallas bouts revealed". sportsday.dallasnews.com. Archived from the original on 17 May 2019. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "UFC 228 results: Darren Stewart tested but scores impressive TKO of Charles Byrd". MMAjunkie. 9 September 2018. Retrieved 9 September 2018.
- Staff (27 September 2018). "UFC newcomer Edmen Shahbazyan meets Darren Stewart at November's TUF 28 Finale". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- "TUF 28 Finale results: Edmen Shahbazyan uses wrestling-heavy approach to edge past Darren Stewart". MMAjunkie. 1 December 2018. Retrieved 1 December 2018.
- DNA, MMA. "Twee nieuwe gevechten toegevoegd aan UFC Greenville inclusief "The Extraordinary Gentleman"". Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "UFC 238 early prelims results: Chookagian, Xiaonan earn tough wins; Wineland scores KO". MMA Junkie. 9 June 2019. Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- Nolan King and Mike Bohn (7 August 2019). "Darren Stewart set to square off with Deron Winn at UFC on ESPN 6". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "UFC on ESPN 6 weigh-in results: Weidman vs. Reyes set, but two fighters miss weight". MMAWeekly.com. 17 October 2019. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- Doherty, Dan (18 October 2019). "UFC Boston Results: Darren Stewart Takes Hard-Fought Split Decision From Deron Winn". Cageside Press. Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- DNA, MMA. "Twee nieuwe partijen toegevoegd aan UFC Londen evenement". Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- Carroll, Peter (16 March 2020). "Darren Stewart vs. Bartosz Fabinski added to Cage Warriors 113 after UFC London cancellation". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 16 March 2020.
- David Tees (27 July 2020). "Darren Stewart faces Maki Pitolo at UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Oleinik". fightful.com. Retrieved 28 July 2020.
- Evanoff, Josh (8 August 2020). "UFC Vegas 6 Results: Darren Stewart Guillotines Maki Pitolo in First Round". Cageside Press. Retrieved 9 August 2020.
- Ryan Galloway (9 August 2020). "UFC Fight Night: Lewis Vs. Oleinik Bonuses". lowkickmma.com. Retrieved 9 August 2020.
- Redactie (24 August 2020). "Kevin Holland announces UFC match against Darren Stewart on Sept. 19". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 24 August 2020.
- McClory, Mike (19 September 2020). "UFC Vegas 11 Results: Early Lead Pushes Kevin Holland Past Darren Stewart". Cageside Press. Retrieved 20 September 2020.
- Nolan King and Farah Hannoun (15 January 2021). "UFC books Eryk Anders vs. Darren Stewart for March 13 event". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 15 January 2021.
- Anderson, Jay (13 March 2021). "UFC Vegas 21 Results: Eryk Anders vs. Darren Stewart Ends Early Due to Illegal Knee". Cageside Press. Retrieved 14 March 2021.
- "Eryk Anders And Darren Stewart Run It Back, More News | Fightful News". www.fightful.com. Retrieved 10 May 2021.
- Anderson, Jay (12 June 2021). "UFC 263 Results: Eryk Anders Turns It Up in Third Against Darren Stewart". Cageside Press. Retrieved 13 June 2021.
- ATSteveDuncan (1 July 2021). "Mozharov fuera, Darren Stewart enfrenta a Dustin Jacoby en UFC Fight Night del 28 de agosto". MMA.uno , #1 En noticias de Artes Marciales Mixtas (MMA) en Español. (in Spanish). Retrieved 1 July 2021.
- "UFC Vegas 35 video: Dustin Jacoby dominates and TKO's Darren Stewart". FIGHTMAG. 29 August 2021. Retrieved 29 August 2021.
- Cruz, Guilherme (31 August 2021). "UFC parts ways with Darren Stewart". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 1 September 2021.
- "Cage Warriors 141 results: George Hardwick crumples Kyle Driscoll with slick body punch to win vacant title". MMA Junkie. 22 July 2022. Retrieved 23 July 2022.
- "UFC Liverpool: Till beats Thompson by unanimous decision". BBC Sport. Retrieved 10 January 2020.
- Sherdog.com. "Darren". Sherdog. Retrieved 14 March 2021.