Darren Michael Jessee is an American drummer and singer-songwriter best known as a member of the alternative rock trio Ben Folds Five. Jessee has also worked as an instrumentalist for Sharon Van Etten and Hiss Golden Messenger and released two solo albums and four albums as singer and songwriter for indie band Hotel Lights. His first solo album, The Jane, Room 217, was released on August 24th, 2018, to near-universal acclaim from critics.
|Birth name||Darren Michael Jessee|
|Born||April 8, 1971|
|Genres||Folk, alternative rock, acoustic|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer-songwriter, drummer|
|Instrument(s)||Vocals, guitar, drums, piano|
Jessee formed indie band Hotel Lights in 2004, with whom he has recorded 4 studio albums and an extended play. Ben Folds, on an iTunes Originals compilation, credited the Jessee-penned chorus for "Brick" as the missing element to a song that he had tried to compose for a long time.
Darren can also be heard drumming on the song "Strangest Thing" from The War on Drugs' 2017 album A Deeper Understanding, Hiss Golden Messenger's Hallelujah Anyhow (2017), and Josh Rouse's album Under Cold Blue Stars, released in 2002.
- The Jane, Room 217 (2018)
- Remover (2020)
Ben Folds Five
- Ben Folds Five (1995)
- Whatever and Ever Amen (1997)
- Naked Baby Photos (1998)
- The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner (1999)
- The Sound of the Life of the Mind (2012)
- "Magic" (Jessee) – The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner
- "Sky High" (Jessee) – The Sound of the Life of the Mind
- "Brick" (Folds / Jessee) – Whatever and Ever Amen
- "Song for the Dumped" (Folds / Jessee) – Whatever and Ever Amen
- "Kate" (Folds / Jessee /Anna Goodman) – Whatever and Ever Amen
- "Amelia Bright" (Jessee) – unreleased track performed live by the band 1999–2000; later featured on the Hotel Lights album Firecracker People. A 2000 studio version of the track by Ben Folds Five was included on Folds' retrospective album The Best Imitation of Myself: A Retrospective (2011)
- "Leather Jacket" (Jessee) – No Boundaries: A Benefit for the Kosovar Refugees
- "Wandering" (Folds / Jessee) – Speed Graphic (Note: this is a Ben Folds solo EP)
- "Stumblin' Home Winter Blues" (Jessee) – originally released on Hotel Lights' self-titled debut album in 2006; later recorded by Ben Folds Five for The Best Imitation of Myself
- BMI Repertoire. Retrieved February 10, 2013
- "The Jane Room 217 - Darren Jessee | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic".
- "Darren Jessee: The Jane Room 217 | Surviving the Golden Age".
- "A really tough year". iTunes Originals - Ben Folds (Interview). August 30, 2005.
- "Joey's Guide to Ben Folds Five B-Sides and Rarities". October 27, 2009. Archived from the original on October 27, 2009. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "Darren Jessee". AllMusic. April 8, 1971. Retrieved October 19, 2011.