Darrell Basham (born March 17, 1949 in Henryville, Indiana) is an American stock car driver and team owner. He currently competes in the ARCA Racing Series, driving the No. 34 Chevrolet for Darrell Basham Racing.
|Born||March 17, 1949|
Henryville, Indiana, U.S.
|ARCA Menards Series career|
|Current team||Darrel Basham Racing|
|Best finish||7th in 1976|
|Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series career|
|1 race run over 1 year|
|Best finish||113th (1979)|
|First race||1979 Sun-Drop Music City USA 420 (Nashville)|
|Statistics current as of September 20, 2014.|
ARCA Racing SeriesEdit
Basham made his ARCA Racing Series debut in 1972. In 1975, Basham posted a career-best finish of fifth twice, both times at Salem Speedway. One year later, he finished a career-best seventh place in the standings.
After driving sporadically over the next two decades, Basham began racing full-time again in 2002. The next season, Basham won the Spirit Award for his dedication and support for ARCA, uplifting spirit by way of example, perseverance, and positive attitude. He finished ninth in the 2009 Lucas Oil Slick Mist 200 at Daytona, tying his career-best finish at the track from 33 years earlier. That same year, Basham and his son Jason made ARCA history by becoming the first father/son duo to finish in the top 20 in the standings the same year.
Basham made his 300th career ARCA start at Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis in 2012, finishing 21st in the event. He had a best finish of 14th place that season at Winchester Speedway, and ultimately finished 11th in the points standings. He was awarded the Marcum Award at the Championship Awards Banquet for his positive efforts and contributions within the ARCA Racing community.
After racing a full schedule in the ARCA Racing Series for the previous 11 seasons, the 63-year-old Basham decided to reduce his schedule for the 2013 season and only compete on short tracks.
Basham has competed in a single NASCAR Winston Cup Series event in his career, the 1979 Sun-Drop Music City USA 420 at Nashville Speedway in Nashville, Tennessee. He started and finished 24th in the 28-car field, completing 101 of the race's 420 laps before retiring from the event due to rear end failure. Basham also competed in the NASCAR-sanctioned Goody's Dash Series, a racing formula for four-cylinder subcompact cars, in the early and mid 1990s.
Basham operates a business as an independent trucker, operating his shop and trucking business from shops attached to his home in Henryville; he builds his own racing engines as well. On March 2, 2012, Basham's race shop was destroyed by a tornado that devastated Henryville; Basham was able to salvage his race cars and other parts to reopen in a garage in Marysville, Indiana, and successfully resumed racing in ARCA, christening his car the Spirit of Henryville. He also has a son named Mike. 
Motorsports career resultsEdit
(key) (Bold – Pole position awarded by qualifying time. Italics – Pole position earned by points standings or practice time. * – Most laps led.)
Winston Cup SeriesEdit
|NASCAR Winston Cup Series results|
|1979||Jim Patrick Racing||34||Mercury||RSD||DAY||CAR||RCH||ATL||NWS||BRI||DAR||MAR||TAL||NSV
- "Basham, Darrell". Automobile Racing Club of America. April 10, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-07-07. Retrieved 2012-06-17. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Ty Dillon's Crowning Achievement". National Speed Sport News. 2011-12-11. Retrieved 2012-06-15.
- "Countdown to Daytona - Basham 11th in 2012". ARCAracing.com. Retrieved 2013-02-17.
- "Marcum Award Honors Positive Effort, Contribution". ARCAracing.com. Retrieved 2013-02-17.
- "Darrell Basham - 1979 NASCAR Winston Cup Results". Racing-Reference.info. USA Today Sports Media Group. Retrieved 2012-06-15.
- Cavin, Curt (February 18, 1995). "Waltrip believes he's ready to come out of hibernation". The Indianapolis Star. Indianapolis, IN.
- "Jason Basham - ARCA Racing Series Results". Racing-Reference. USA Today Sports Media Group. Retrieved 2012-06-17.
- Ansari, Maira (March 5, 2012). "Henryville working to clean up town". KAIT8 TV. Jonesboro, AR. Retrieved 2012-06-17.
- Ansari, Maira (April 26, 2012). "Business back up and running after tornado". WAVE3-TV. Louisville, KY. Retrieved 2012-06-17.
- "Darrell Basham - 1979 NASCAR Winston Cup Results". Racing-Reference. USA Today Sports Media Group. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- Darrell Basham driver statistics at Racing-Reference