Darío Rafael Álvarez Espinal (born January 17, 1989) is a Dominican professional baseball pitcher for the Leones de Yucatán of the Mexican League. He previously played for the New York Mets, Atlanta Braves, and Texas Rangers.
Álvarez pitching for the Texas Rangers in 2016
|Leones de Yucatán – No. 45|
|Born: January 17, 1989|
Santiago, Dominican Republic
|September 3, 2014, for the New York Mets|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2017 season)
|Earned run average||5.06|
Álvarez signed with the Philadelphia Phillies as an amateur free agent on January 8, 2007. From 2007-2009 he played entirely with the Dominican Summer League Phillies. In 2007, Álvarez finished with a 1-3 record, 4.46 ERA in 11 games. In 2008, he finished with a 4-2 record, 3.23 ERA in 18 games. In 2009, he finished with a 3-4 record, 2.59 ERA in 14 games. On August 18, 2009, he was released by the Philadelphia Phillies.
New York MetsEdit
On January 13, 2013, Álvarez was signed as a free agent with the New York Mets. Álvarez played in the minors with the Brooklyn Cyclones, Savannah Sand Gnats, St. Lucie Mets and the Binghamton Mets.
Álvarez was called up to the majors for the first time on September 1. He made his major league debut on September 3 against the Miami Marlins. The Mets won the game 4-3 with Alvarez giving up an RBI single to Christian Yelich which the tied the game for the Marlins with him being charged with a blown save.
Álvarez finished the season with a 13.50 ERA in 4 games in 1.1 innings pitched while giving up 4 hits, 2 runs, and one home run while only getting one strikeout with a WHIP of 3.000.
Álvarez was promoted up to the majors on August 22 with first baseman Lucas Duda going on the disable list with a back injury. On August 23 he was sent back to the Las Vegas 51s to make room for David Wright who was making his return from Spinal stenosis. He did not make a single appearance when he was called up a day earlier.
He was recalled on September 4 to be available to pitch against the Miami Marlins. On September 7, Álvarez got his first career win against the Washington Nationals by striking out outfielder Bryce Harper in the bottom of the 6th inning.
On September 15, Álvarez strained his groin with one out in the eight inning against the Marlins forcing him to leave in what would be a 3-9 loss for the Mets. He had allowed 3 hits and exited the game after stumbling and failing to deliver a pitch, which resulted in a balk. On September 18 it was revealed that Álvarez was headed to Port St. Lucie to rehab the groin injury he had sustained three days ago and that it was unlikely for him to pitch again in 2015.
Álvarez finished the season with a 1-0 record, 12.27 ERA in 6 games in 3.2 innings pitched while giving up 5 hits, 5 runs, 2 home runs, 1 walk, and 1 balk while getting two strikeouts with a WHIP of 1.636. On May 23, 2016, he was designated for assignment.
On July 27, 2016, the Braves traded Álvarez and Lucas Harrell to the Texas Rangers for Travis Demeritte.  After two appearances with the Rangers, he was demoted to Triple-A Round Rock on August 4, 2016. He elected free agency on November 6, 2017.
Leones de YucatánEdit
- "Dario Alvarez Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- "Mets call up Satin, Goeddel, Centeno and Alvarez". SNY. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- KRISTIE ACKERT (3 September 2014). "Jacob deGrom battles as Kirk Nieuwenhuis helps power Mets in 4-3 win over Marlins". NY Daily News. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- "Dario Alvarez Makes Debut In Mets Win - MetsMinors.net". Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- "Duda placed on DL, Mets recall Alvarez". SNY. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- "New York Mets". ESPN.com. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- "Mets will likely promote Alvarez on Friday". SNY. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- "MLB Recap - New York Mets at Washington Nationals - Sep 07, 2015 - CBSSports.com". CBSSports.com. 7 September 2015. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- "Alvarez left Tuesday's game due to groin injury". SNY. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- "Alvarez heads to St. Lucie for rehab". SNY. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- O'Brien, David (May 25, 2016). "Braves claim lefty reliever off waivers from Mets". Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved May 26, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark (May 25, 2016). "Smith needs to stay on bases during slides". MLB.com. Retrieved May 26, 2016.
- "Braves option Ryan Weber to minors, recall Dario Alvarez". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 14, 2016. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- Sullivan, T. R. (July 27, 2016). "Rangers land Harrell from Braves for prospect". MLB.com. Retrieved July 28, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark (July 27, 2016). "Braves thrilled to reel in power prospect". MLB.com. Retrieved July 28, 2016.
- Baillargeon, Ryan (August 4, 2016). "Rangers get leadoff hitter back, activate Choo". MLB.com. Retrieved August 14, 2016.
- Gonzalez, Mark (December 1, 2017). "Cubs sign LHP Dario Alvarez to 1-year contract". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved December 1, 2017.
- Neal III, La Velle (January 10, 2019). "Twins sign catcher Tomas Telis, pitcher Dario Alvarez to minor league contracts". Star Tribune. Retrieved January 10, 2019.