Baselli training with Atalanta
|Full name||Daniele Baselli|
|Date of birth||12 March 1992|
|Place of birth||Brescia, Italy|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16:03, 31 March 2019 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 4 June 2018
Baselli was born in Brescia and joined Atalanta's youth system in 2000, aged 8. In the 2010–11 season he was promoted to the club's Primavera, for which he appeared in 22 league matches and scored five goals. He also collected some appearances on the bench for the first team both in Serie B and Coppa Italia.
On 13 July 2011 he was sold to Serie B club Cittadella in a co-ownership deal for a nominal fee of €500, for which he made his debut in a 1–2 loss in Coppa Italia to Fiorentina. He made his debut in the league on 27 August, starting in a 2–1 home success against AlbinoLeffe. He finished the 2011–12 season with 13 appearances in the league, including 10 as a starter.
After the renewal of the co-ownership between the two clubs he remained in Veneto the following season, during which he took part in two matches of Coppa Italia and 37 in the league, even scoring his professional goal on 18 May 2013, netting the winner in a home win over Ascoli.
Return to AtalantaEdit
On 20 June 2013 he returned to Atalanta, after the Bergamo side bought the other half of the player's rights for €803,500, with Cittadella offering a reported €50,000 less. He signed a four-year deal with Atalanta, and made his debut for the club on 18 August, playing the last 17 minutes and assisting Giuseppe De Luca in the last goal of a 3–0 home win over Bari.
On 1 September Baselli made his Serie A debut, coming on as a second-half substitute in a 2–0 home success over Torino; he was handed his first start in the main category of Italian football thirteen days later, in a 0–2 loss against Napoli. He scored his first goal in Serie A on 10 May 2015 in Palermo, scoring the 1–0 against the Rosaneri.
On 10 July 2015, he was sold to Torino, in the same transfer that also brought Davide Zappacosta to Piedmont, for a total of €10.3 million. Baselli made his competitive debut for Torino on 17 August in the third round of Coppa Italia against Pescara, scoring Torino's first goal in a 4–1 win. On 23 August, he scored his first goal in Serie A with Torino in a 2–1 win away to Frosinone. He concluded the 2014–15 season with 35 appearances and four goals.
On 20 August 2016, he scored his first goal of the 2016–17 season in a 3–2 loss against Milan at the San Siro. He concluded the season with 37 appearances and six goals. On 12 July 2017, he renewed his contract with Torino until 2022.
On 13 November 2012 he made his debut with the under-21, in the friendly match won 1–0 against Spain. He was called up by Devis Mangia for a friendly won the following 6 February against Germany, but did not play. On 14 August 2013 he played as a starter in the friendly match won by the Azzurri 4–1 against Slovakia. On 5 September 2013, he played as a starter under Luigi Di Biagio in the match against Belgium, valid for the 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualifiers.
From 10 to 12 March 2014, he was called up to the senior national team by coach Cesare Prandelli as part of an internship to evaluate young players ahead of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, confirmed on the next meeting between 14 and 15 April. He took part in the 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Championship in the Czech Republic.
Baselli earned his first senior cap in an 8–0 drubbing of San Marino in an unofficial friendly match on 31 May 2017, for Italy national football B team. He started the game and played 45 minutes, before being replaced by fellow debutant Lorenzo Pellegrini.
On 19 May 2018 Baselli was called up to the Italy senior national team by coach Roberto Mancini for the team's friendlies against Saudi Arabia, France and the Netherlands. He made his official debut for the Italy senior side on 4 June, in a 1–1 friendly draw against the Netherlands in Turin, coming on as a second half substitute for Jorginho.
Style of playEdit
According to his agent Giuseppe Riso: "His role is certainly as a central midfielder, not in front of the defence. Over time he will be able to play as a metodista however right now his movement is quite dangerous when he makes runs into the opposing area. He is a 'box to box midfielder'". An elegant, technically gifted, and complete midfielder, Baselli is a clean tackler and a competent passer with both feet; due to his attributes, he is capable of winning balls, scoring goals, or creating chances for his team.
Updated 31 March 2019.
- As of 4 June 2018
- Atalanta B.C. S.p.A. bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 31 December 2013, PDF purchased from Italian C.C.I.A.A. (in Italian)
- "Ufficialle: De Vito e Baselli al Cittadella, Dalla Bona al Modena" [Official: De Vito and Baselli to Cittadella, Dalla Bona to Modena] (in Italian). Tutto Mercato Web. 13 July 2011.
- "Fiorentina, Gila-Cerci e il Cittadella è battuto" [Fiorentina, Gila-Cerci and Cittadella is beaten] (in Italian). Calcio Toscano. 21 August 2011. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Cittadella 2–1 AlbinoLeffe" (in Italian). Lega Serie B. 27 August 2011. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Cittadella 1–0 Ascoli" (in Italian). Lega Serie B. 18 May 2013. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- A.S. Cittadella S.r.l. bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 30 June 2013, PDF purchased from Italian C.C.I.A.A. (in Italian)
- "L'Atalanta la spunta per 50mila euro: Baselli è nerazzurro" [Atalanta wins by 50 thousand euros: Baselli is nerazurro] (in Italian). Bergamo News. 21 June 2013. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Coppa Italia, Atalanta-Bari 3–0: una doppietta di Livaja lancia i nerazzurri" [Coppa Italia, Atalanta-Bari 3–0: a double from Livaja pushes nerazurri forward] (in Italian). La Repubblica. 18 August 2013. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Atalanta 2–0 Torino". Football Italia. 1 September 2013. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Napoli 2–0 Atalanta". Football Italia. 14 September 2013. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- Torino F.C. S.p.A. bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 31 December 2015, PDF purchased from Italian C.C.I.A.A. (in Italian)
- "TORINO VS. PESCARA 4 - 1". soccerway.com. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- "STAGE A ROMA DAL 10 AL 12 MARZO: SONO 31 I CONVOCATI DI PRANDELLI". figc.it (in Italian). Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "TEST A COVERCIANO: PRIMA CHIAMATA PER ROMULO E BERARDI, TORNA CASSANO". figc.it (in Italian). Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Italy 8-0 San Marino". ESPN. 31 May 2017. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- "Roberto Mancini hands Mario Balotelli Italy recall | Goal.com". Retrieved 2018-05-20.
- "Italy: Dutch peg back 10-man Azzurri". Football Italia. 4 June 2018. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- Antonio Vitiello (3 June 2015). "ESCLUSIVA MN - Ag. Baselli: "Osservato speciale di Galliani, possibile incontro con Percassi. Modic? Futura stella"" (in Italian). MilanNews.it. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- "Lazio-Torino, Baselli sfida Candreva" (in Italian). Toro.it. 24 June 2016. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- Daniele Baselli at Soccerway. Retrieved 11 July 2015.