Thomas, whose birthname is Daniela Gontijo Alves Pinto, is the daughter of the famous cartoonist Ziraldo Alves Pinto and the sister of Golden Globe Award-nominated film score composer Antonio Pinto. In 1994, she co-directed her first feature film, Terra Estrangeira, alongside Walter Salles. In 1998, she debuted as a theatre director with her version of The Seagull by Anton Chekhov, starring Fernanda Montenegro and assisted by Luiz Päetow. In 2007, again with Salles, she directed Linha de Passe, the film which gave Sandra Corveloni a Best Actress Award at the Cannes Film Festival.
Thomas was also one of two creative directors for Rio's contribution to the 2016 Summer Olympics opening ceremony.
As a directorEdit
- 1996 - Terra Estrangeira
- 1998 - O Primeiro Dia
- 1998 - Somos Todos Filhos da Terra
- 2002 - Armas e Paz
- 2002 - Castanha e caju contra o encouraçado Titanic (short film)
- 2006 - Paris, je t'aime (segment "Loin du 16ème")
- 2007 - Linha de Passe
- 2017 - Vazante
As a writerEdit
- "Da Gaivota". itaucultural.
- "Panorama 2017 Programme Complete: Powerful European Auteur Cinema / Three Surprising Indie Gems from China and Hong Kong / Brazil Well-Represented with Five Films". Berlinale. 25 January 2017. Retrieved 26 January 2017.