Mengden with the Nashville Sounds
|Oakland Athletics – No. 33|
|Born: February 19, 1993|
|June 11, 2016, for the Oakland Athletics|
|MLB statistics |
(through September 10, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.70|
After graduating from Westside High School in Houston, Texas, Mengden played college baseball at Texas A&M University from 2012 to 2014. During his three years, he appeared in 54 games with 36 starts. He went 15–17 with a 3.21 earned run average (ERA) and 230 strikeouts.
Mengden was drafted by the Houston Astros in the fourth round of the 2014 Major League Baseball draft. He made his professional debut with the Gulf Coast Astros and was later promoted to the Tri-City ValleyCats. Mengden started 2015 with the Quad Cities River Bandits and was promoted to the Lancaster JetHawks after recording a 1.16 ERA. Prior to the 2015 trade deadline, the Astros traded Mengden and Jacob Nottingham to the Oakland Athletics for Scott Kazmir. He began the 2016 season with the Double-A Midland RockHounds, but was promoted to the Triple-A Nashville Sounds on May 1. With Nashville, he had a 3–1 record with a 1.39 ERA in seven starts.
He made his major league debut on June 11, 2016, against the Cincinnati Reds. He won his first major league game in the Battle of the Bay against the San Francisco Giants on June 27,2016. He'd remain in the rotation for the remainder of the season, finishing with 14 starts for the A's. Mengden recorded 2 wins and 9 losses with 71 K's in 72 innings.
Daniel is the oldest son of Beth and Joe Mengden, and has four siblings: an older sister, Victoria; and three younger siblings, twins Michael and Rachel; and Gabrielle. Mengden was home schooled through eighth grade, at which time his parents ultimately decided to place him in public high school in order to further his baseball career. Victoria is a highschool math teacher and his younger siblings are professional dancers; Michael with the Cincinnati Ballet and Gabrielle with Oklahoma City Ballet. Rachel is an in-home care giver.
- "Astros take Texas A&M and Westside High product Mengden in 4th round". Ultimate Astros. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- "Astros sign fourth-round Draft pick Mengden". Houston Astros. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- "Astros". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- "'Mustache Man' Mengden thriving for the Bandits". Quad-Cities Online. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- Steve Batterson. "Mengden styles a winning look for River Bandits". The Quad-City Times. Retrieved July 6, 2015.
- Dykstra, Sam (July 23, 2015). "A's get Nottingham, Mengden for Kazmir: Former Astros prospects were thriving at Class A, Class A Advanced". MiLB.com.
- "Daniel Mengden Stats, Highlights, Bio". MiLB.com. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- Lockard, Melissa (June 10, 2016). "Oakland A's prospect Daniel Mengden to make his big league debut". Oakland Clubhouse. Scout.com. Retrieved June 11, 2016.