Danger Zone (song)
"Danger Zone" is a song, with music composed by Giorgio Moroder and lyrics written by Tom Whitlock, which American singer-songwriter Kenny Loggins recorded and released in 1986. The song was one of the hit singles from the soundtrack to the 1986 American motion picture Top Gun, the best selling soundtrack of 1986 and one of the best selling of all time. According to Allmusic.com, the album "remains a quintessential artifact of the mid-'80s" and the album's hits "still define the bombastic, melodramatic sound that dominated the pop charts of the era."
|Single by Kenny Loggins|
|from the album Top Gun (soundtrack)|
|B-side||"I'm Gonna Do It Right"|
|Released||May 13, 1986|
|Format||7" single, 12" single, CD|
|Genre||Hard rock, new wave|
|Kenny Loggins singles chronology|
Film producers Jerry Bruckheimer and Don Simpson, along with music supervisor Michael Dilbeck, had over 300 songs to employ on Top Gun. Testing compositions against the dailies of the opening scenes at the aircraft carrier, nothing satisfied them, and Bruckheimer asked soundtrack producer Giorgio Moroder to write something. With the help of songwriter Tom Whitlock, he composed "Danger Zone" and had Joe Pizzulo record a demo. With the approval of the producers, soundtrack distributor Columbia Records requested Moroder to have "Danger Zone" performed by an artist signed by the label.
Bryan Adams was approached to allow his song "Only the Strong Survive" on the soundtrack and perform "Danger Zone", but Adams refused any involvement, feeling that the film glorified war, and he did not want any of his work linked to it.
REO Speedwagon was also approached to perform "Danger Zone", but the group declined due to not being allowed to contribute any of its own compositions to the soundtrack.
Eventually, the film producers agreed that "Danger Zone" would be recorded and performed by Kenny Loggins. Whitlock went to Loggins' Encino home, and once shown the lyrics, the singer added his own improvisations.
Dann Huff, lead singer and guitarist of the 1980s hard rock group Giant, played guitar on the song. The bass line is performed on a Yamaha DX7 synthesizer, with the drums being provided by a LinnDrum drum machine, both instruments extensively used in 1980s pop music. A tenor saxophone is added near the end of the song.
A music video was released in May 1986 to promote the single. The video was directed by Tony Scott and featured footage of Loggins singing, as well as clips from the film Top Gun, which Scott also directed.
According to the MuchMusic network's program Pop-Up Video, the U.S. Navy described this video as "the most effective recruiting poster ever produced".
|Germany (Official German Charts)||10|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||12|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||6|
|United Kingdom (The Official Charts Company)||45|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||2|
|U.S. Billboard Album Rock Tracks||7|
|US Billboard Hot 100||42|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Pop > Picks > Kenny Loggins – Danger Zone (3:35)". Billboard. Vol. 96 no. 19. May 10, 1986. p. 79. ISSN 0006-2510.
- Denisoff, R. Serge; Romanowski, William D. (2011-12-31). Risky Business: Rock in Film. Transaction Publishers. ISBN 9781412833370.
- "Top Gun [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] - Original Soundtrack | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- Back to the 80s: Interview with Tom Whitlock, co-writer of 'Take My Breath Away' & more – Kickin' it Old School
- "Official TOTO Website - Encyclopedia". www.toto99.com. 2007-04-29. Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "Encyclopedia". thecanadianencyclopedia.ca. 2007-04-29. Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "Musicline.de – Kenny Loggins Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Charts.org.nz – Kenny Loggins – Danger Zone". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swisscharts.com – Kenny Loggins – Danger Zone". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Japanese single certifications – Danger Zone" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan. Retrieved 27 December 2016. Select 2016年4月 on the drop-down menu
- Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone - Official music video