Scanlon at the 2013 Annecy International Animated Film Festival
|Born||June 21, 1976|
|Alma mater||Columbus College of Art and Design|
|Occupation||Film director, Storyboard artist, Animator|
|Employer||Pixar Animation Studios (2001–present)|
Scanlon grew up in Clawson, Michigan. When he was 1 year old and his brother 3 years old, their father died. When they were teenagers, a relative gave them a brief audio recording of their father, which Scanlon says helped inspire the story of Onward. He graduated with a BFA from the Columbus College of Art and Design in 1998.
Scanlon was an animator for The Indescribable Nth and Joseph: King of Dreams. He served as a storyboard artist for The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea and 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure.
Scanlon joined Pixar in 2001, where he was a story artist for Cars and Toy Story 3. He co-directed the short film Mater and the Ghostlight. He illustrated part one of Unmentionables, a comic book written by his wife, Michele Scanlon, and wrote and directed the live-action feature film Tracy. Tracy was Scanlon's first feature film as a writer/director. He also served as a member of the senior creative team on Brave and Inside Out.
Scanlon directed the prequel film Monsters University, released in 2013, to positive reviews and commercial success. He was announced to be directing an untitled Suburban World of Fantasy film at Pixar, which is inspired by his father's death. In December 2018, the film's title was revealed as Onward and is set to the star the voices of Tom Holland, Chris Pratt, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Octavia Spencer.
Scanlon and his wife Michele live in San Francisco and work together on projects under the production company name Caveat Productions.
|1998||Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World||Yes||Direct-to-video|
|2000||The Indescribable Nth||Yes||Short film|
|The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea||Yes||Direct-to-video|
|Joseph: King of Dreams||Yes|
|2002||The Hunchback of Notre Dame II||Yes|
|101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure||Yes|
|Mater and the Ghostlight||Co-Director||Yes||Short film|
Also editor and cinematographer
- Scanlon, Dan (February 25, 2012). "I've had one childhood dream since my birth in 1976, & it's to be followed by anyone & everyone responsible for "The Office."". Twitter. Retrieved July 7, 2012.
- Scanlon, Dan (June 21, 2012). "Thanks automated emailing system at Jackson Square Dentistry for being the first to wish me a Happy Birthday. I love you". Twitter. Retrieved July 7, 2012.
- Kirkland, Bruce (November 5, 2006). "Life as an animator at Pixar". Canoe. Retrieved July 7, 2012.
- Variety Staff (July 14, 2017). "D23: Disney-Pixar Announces Untitled 'Suburban Fantasy' Movie". Variety. Retrieved July 14, 2017.
- "C&G Newspapers". C&G Newspapers. C & G Publishing. Retrieved 4 March 2020.
- Bell, Crystal (June 7, 2017). "Pixar's New 'Suburban Fantasy' Sounds Like A Real Tearjerker". MTV. Retrieved October 16, 2018.
- Connelly, Brendon (March 31, 2011). "Dan Scanlon Is Directing Monsters University – But What Else Has He Done?". Bleeding Cool. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- Hipes, Patrick (December 12, 2018). "Pixar's 'Onward' To Star Chris Pratt, Tom Holland, Julia Louis-Dreyfus & Octavia Spencer". Deadline. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
|This article relating to an American animator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|