Dan Hellie is an American sports announcer for Fox Sports and the NFL Network. Hellie can also be seen on Dana White's UFC Tuesday Night Contender Series, Tennessee Titans preseason games and Facebook's streaming college football games. Previously, he was an anchor for WRC-TV, an NBC affiliate in Washington, D.C..
Dan Hellie on NFL Total Access
|Born||May 23, 1975|
|Occupation||Sports anchor and reporter|
|Sports anchor-reporter for WRC-TV (2006–2013) Anchor-reporter for NFL Network (2013–present)|
Hellie was born in Manila, Philippines, where his parents were stationed while in the Peace Corps. After a short stint in Honduras where his brother was born, Hellie moved to Shoshone, Idaho where he lived until 4th grade. He then moved across the country to Maryland and was raised in Gaithersburg, MD. His mother was a middle school teacher in the Montgomery County school system and his father worked at the Department of the Interior. He attended Magruder High School, where he was a three-sport athlete in football, basketball and baseball. The sportscaster graduated from the University of Tennessee with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism; he was also a member of the FIJI fraternity during his time in Knoxville. In 2014, his alma mater awarded him with the University of Tennessee Alumni Promise Award.
Hellie began his career in Alexandria, Minnesota, as an editor, producer and reporter. After nine months, he landed a job in Florence, South Carolina, as a sports reporter-anchor for WPDE. Following his two years in Florence, Hellie called Florida home, first working in West Palm Beach at WPTV then, in 2003, as sports director at WFTV in Orlando where he was voted best sportscaster in Florida by the Associated Press and Most Popular sportscaster by the Orlando Sentinel. In 2005, Hellie was named best sportscaster in Florida. The Associated Press also awarded him best feature story for a piece he did on bull riding. In the feature, Hellie attempts to ride a bull and stays on for 1.8 seconds. In July 2006, Hellie returned to the D.C. area and was hired by George Michael to work for WRC-TV as an anchor-reporter, where he covered his hometown teams. In 2011, Hellie was awarded Sports Emmys for Outstanding Sports Anchor and Outstanding Sports Daily or Weekly Programs. Hellie hosted the Redskins Coaches Show, where he reported that Redskins Coach Jim Zorn would break down film with owner Dan Snyder. On July 11, 2013, Hellie announced he would be leaving WRC-TV for the NFL Network.
Hellie works for the NFL Network, where he co-anchors the flagship show NFL Total Access alongside Lindsay Rhodes. Hellie has contributed to multiple nominations on NFL Total Access, including Sports Emmys for Outstanding Studio Show - Daily  and the Shorty Award for Best Social Integration with Live Television.
On July 11, 2017, Hellie joined former UFC Lightweight Yves Edwards to launch Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender series which aired digitally on UFC Fight Pass. Hellie teamed up with Snoop Dogg and UFC Hall of Fame Inductee Urijah Faber on the series. He also calls other UFC events on FS1.
Hellie also calls college basketball (West Coast Conference) games in Southern California. In 2017 He was partnered with for former NBA star Doug Christie.
Hellie resides in Manhattan Beach, California, with his wife and their two children. In 2008, Hellie presented the commencement speech at his alma mater, Magruder High School. Hellie was inducted into the Magruder Athletic Hall of Fame on October 26, 2012.
- "The 5 O'Clock Club: Exclusive interview with Dan Hellie, co-host of NFL Network's Total Access". HogsHaven.com. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- "Alumni Promise". UTK.edu. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- "Hellie too hot for sportscasting". OrlandoSentinel.com. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- D HELLIE (November 26, 2008). "sportscaster bull ride". Retrieved November 6, 2017 – via YouTube.
- "D.C. Sports Bog - Jim Zorn broke down game film with Dan Snyder". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- Steinberg, Dan (July 10, 2013). "Dan Hellie joins NFL Network". Retrieved November 6, 2017 – via www.WashingtonPost.com.
- "NFL Media scores a record 24 Sports Emmy Award nominations". NFL.com. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- "All 9th Annual Shorty Awards Winners". ShortyAwards.com. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- "NFL Media Scores 21 Sports Emmy Award Nominations". NFLCommunications.com. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- "Davis, Hellie are Titans new preseason broadcasters". USAToday.com. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- "What channel is the Jets-Dolphins game on?". NJ.com. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- "'Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series' features broadcasters new to sport". USAToday.com. Retrieved November 6, 2017.
- D HELLIE (November 20, 2008). "Dan Hellie commencement speech". Retrieved November 6, 2017 – via YouTube.