Dan Harris (journalist)
Daniel B. Harris
July 26, 1971
|Alma mater||Colby College|
Dr. Bianca Harris (m. 2009)
Early life and educationEdit
Harris is the son of Nancy Lee Harris and Jay R. Harris. His father is the chair of Harvard's radiation oncology residency program and recipient of the 2007 American Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology Gold Medal. His mother is a pathologist at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and is a global authority on lymphomas. Harris' younger brother, Matthew Carmichael Harris, is a venture capitalist.
Harris joined ABC News in 2000. He anchored World News Sunday from 2006 to 2011 and frequently anchors World News, ABC World News Tonight weekend editions and Nightline. He is also a frequent contributor to World News. He also anchored ABC's coverage of Hurricane Katrina in September 2005. In October 2010, he was named the new co-anchor for the weekend edition of Good Morning America, succeeding Bill Weir. In October 2013, he was named a co-anchor for Nightline, succeeding Bill Weir.
Harris has reported on a series of events such as the mass shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, Aurora, Colorado and Tucson, Arizona, and has covered various natural disasters from the earthquake in Haiti to Myanmar to New Orleans. He has also reported on combat in Afghanistan, Israel, Gaza and the West Bank, and has made six visits to Iraq. Peter Jennings personally asked Harris to lead ABC News' coverage of faith. He scored one of the first interviews with former pastor Ted Haggard after his sex and drugs scandal. In 2013, he covered the papal conclave at Vatican City, which elected Pope Francis. Harris also interviewed Eckhart Tolle, out of which grew his interest in mindfulness and meditation.
In 2012, Harris anchored ABC News Digital's debate coverage for the presidential election. In 2014, he covered the shootings on Parliament Hill in Ottawa and the opening of One World Trade Center in New York.
Harris encourages the use of meditation, and himself uses a method of watching the breath. His "10% Happier" podcasts are interviews with other meditators. Harris' book, 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Really Works – a True Story, was published in March 2014. Harris said the issue that prompted his self-examination and led him to write the book, was an on-air panic attack on June 7, 2004. In the book, Harris recounts how—with the help of various mental health professionals, religious leaders, self-help gurus, and news industry mentors—he stopped using drugs (cocaine and Ecstasy), discovered the benefits of meditation, and resolved the apparent conflict between meditation-induced equanimity and the aggressive competitiveness required for success as a TV-news journalist.
He is married to Dr. Bianca Harris; they have a son named Alexander Robert Harris (born December 15, 2014). Although he refers to himself as "half-Jewish and culturally Jewish," he identifies as a Buddhist.
Harris has been honored several times for his journalistic contributions. He received an Edward R. Murrow Award for his reporting on a young Iraqi man who received the help he needed in order to move to America, and in 2009 won an Emmy Award for his "Nightline" report, "How to Buy a Child in Ten Hours."
A graduate of Colby College in Waterville, Maine, Harris also holds honorary doctorate degrees from Colby and Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts.
- "Dan Harris". IMDb. Retrieved 2017-05-29.
- Harris, Dan (2014). "10% Happier", Harper Collins, p. 76.
- Enberg, Nicole (10/11/13). http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/10/dan-harris-named-co-anchor-of-nightline/. ABC News Blogs. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/nightline-anchor-dan-harris-biography/story?id=20808829. Nightline. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Petski, Denise (March 1, 2016). "Nightline's Dan Harris To Host '500 Questions' Season 2 On ABC". Retrieved March 1, 2016.
- http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/dan-harris-father-27850241. ABC News Blogs. Retrieved 28 December 2014
- https://news.yahoo.com/photos/dan-harris-becomes-father-photo-140014123.html. Yahoo! News. Retrieved 28 December 2014
- https://gma.yahoo.com/photos/dan-harris-becomes-father-photo-140014271.html. gma.yahoo.com. Retrieved 28 December 2014
- Jay Michaelson (26 May 2014). "Why Do Jews Meditate? It's All in the Worrying!". The Jewish Daily Forward.
although Harris hastens to note that he’s “only” half-Jewish and culturally Jewish
- Dan Harris; Special to CNN (10 April 2015). "How a skeptical anchorman became a Buddhist". CNN.
- "Dan Harris on Twitter".