Dan Graur \ˈɡra.ur\ is an American scientist working in the field of molecular evolution. He is a Moores Professor at the University of Houston and Professor Emeritus of Zoology at Tel Aviv University, Israel. He is coauthor along with Wen-Hsiung Li of Fundamentals of Molecular Evolution. His Molecular and Genome Evolution was published in 2016.
|Born||July 24, 1953 (age 66)|
|Institutions||University of Houston|
Tel Aviv University
University of Tübingen
|Thesis||Studies on the Patterns of Nucleotide and Amino Acid Substitution (1985)|
|Doctoral advisor||Masatoshi Nei|
Dan Graur earned a B.Sc. in Biology and an M.Sc. in Zoology from Tel Aviv University. In 1985 Graur received his Ph.D. at the University of Texas at Houston for research supervised by Masatoshi Nei. He conducted postdoctoral research at the University of Tübingen, Germany.
From 1986 to 2003 he climbed the academic ranks in the Department of Zoology at Tel Aviv University. He retired in 2006 as Norman and Rose Lederer Professor Emeritus of Zoology. In 2003, he moved to the University of Houston. Graur served as associate editor of the journal Molecular Biology and Evolution from 1995 to 2011. Since 2009, he serves as associate editor of the journal Genome Biology and Evolution. From 2009 to 2011 he has held the position of Councillor for the Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution. Since the end of 2012, Graur has been noted for his criticisms of the ENCODE project.
Awards and honorsEdit
In 2011 Graur was awarded the Humboldt Prize. In 2015, he was elected fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Faculty profile, Department of Molecular Biology, University of Houston. Accessed May 29, 2011
- Dan Graur's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Dan Graur; Wen-Hsiung Li (2000). Fundamentals of Molecular Evolution: Second Edition. Sinauer Associates, Inc. ISBN 0878932666.
- Dan Graur (2016). Molecular and Genome Evolution. Sinauer Associates, Inc. ISBN 0878932666.
- Graur, D.; Zheng, Y.; Price, N.; Azevedo, R. B. R.; Zufall, R. A.; Elhaik, E. (2013). "On the Immortality of Television Sets: "Function" in the Human Genome According to the Evolution-Free Gospel of ENCODE". Genome Biology and Evolution. 5 (3): 578–590. doi:10.1093/gbe/evt028. PMC 3622293. PMID 23431001.
- Top-tier Work Earns UH Biologist Prestigious Humboldt Prize, News&Events, February 21, 2011, University of Houston. Accessed May 29, 2011