This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Daniel Smart "Dan" Fante (February 19, 1944 – November 23, 2015) was an American author and playwright. He was born in Los Angeles.
Fante was the son of acclaimed novelist John Fante whose writing came back into vogue after Charles Bukowski declared him "my God", and wrote the introduction to the reprint of Fante's seminal novel about life in Los Angeles, Ask the Dust.
Chump Change, Mooch, 86'd and Spitting Off Tall Buildings comprise a trilogy about Fante's hard living alter-ego Bruno Dante. Chump Change found publication in France originally, before being published in the US by Sun Dog Press. The trilogy was then published in America by Harper Perennial and by United Kingdom publisher Canongate. Short Dog is a collection of short stories about Fante's life as a cab driver in LA.
As well as novels and short stories, Fante is the author of two plays - "The Closer / The Boiler Room" described by the Los Angeles Times as "ferociously profane", and "Don Giovanni", about which 3:AM Magazine said: "For those who want to know what is REALLY going on in post-modern American literature right now, Don Giovanni should be essential reading." Both plays are published in book form by Long Beach publisher Burning Shore Press. He is also the author of A Gin-Pissing-Raw-Meat-Dual-Carburetor-V8-Son-Of-A-Bitch From Los Angeles, a volume of poetry on Wrecking Ball Press.
- Chump Change (1998)
- Mooch (2001)
- Spitting Off Tall Buildings (2002)
- Short Dog: Cab Driver Stories from the L. A. Streets (2002)
- Gin Pissing, Raw Meat, Dual Carburettor V-8 Son-of-a-Bitch from Los Angeles (2002), poetry
- Renewal, Bottle of Smoke Press (2005), Short Story
- Don Giovanni: A Play (2006)
- Kissed by a Fat Waitress (2008), poetry
- 86'd (2009)
- John Fante & The Hollywood Ten, Bottle of Smoke Press (2010), Essay
- Fante: A Family's Legacy of Writing, Drinking and Surviving (2011)
- Point Doom (2013)
- Official homepage
- Dan Fante: An American Writer (a documentary directed by Flavio Sciolé)
- New York Times review of Short Dog
- Interview of Dan Fante on NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross, September 29, 2009.
- Interview with Dan Fante by Ben Myers
- Interview with Dan Fante by Tony O'Neill
- Interview with Dan Fante by Rob Woodard
- Hand-written interview at ifpthendirt
- Interview with Dan Fante by Alex Kudera