Daisy von Scherler Mayer
Daisy von Scherler Mayer, sometimes credited as Daisy Mayer (born March 14, 1965), is an American film and television director.
Daisy von Scherler Mayer
|Born||March 14, 1965|
|Occupation||Film director, television director, screenwriter|
Life and careerEdit
Mayer is the daughter of actress Sasha von Scherler (1934–2000) and Paul Avila Mayer (1928–2009). Through her father, she was a grandchild of American screenwriter Edwin Justus Mayer, and through her mother, she was a grandchild of Prussian aristocrat Baron Walram Voystingus Albert Alexander von Schoeler.
After contributing to the New York Shakespeare Festival as a teen, von Scherler Mayer graduated from Wesleyan University with a degree in theater and history. Her experience with theater served as a foundation for her career as a director, where she applied her understanding of stage acting to her work for the screen. Upon graduating from Wesleyan, von Scherler Mayer directed contemporary interpretations of classic plays such as Euripides' Electra, Shakespeare’s The Tempest, and Shakespeare's Two Gentlemen of Verona.
Von Scherler Mayer's feature-film directing debut was the 1995 film Party Girl. She also co-wrote the film, which starred Parker Posey and von Scherler Mayer's mother, with her partner Harry Birckmayer. The success of the film led to a television series starring Christine Taylor.
Since Party Girl, von Scherler Mayer has been writing and directing films as well as directing television productions. She directed Madeline, a 1998 film based on Ludwig Bemelmans’ famous children’s books about the adventures of a young redhaired French girl. Madeline starred Frances McDormand, Nigel Hawthorne, and Hatty Jones as Madeline.
- A Million Little Things
- Aliens in America
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
- Emily's Reasons Why Not
- For the People
- The Loop
- Mad Men
- Mozart in the Jungle
- Nurse Jackie
- Whiskey Cavalier
- Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
- Jane by Design
- Ben and Kate
- Orange Is the New Black
- House of Lies
- Ray Donovan
- The Walking Dead
- Fear the Walking Dead
- "Daisy von Scherler Mayer Biography". Tribute Entertainment Media Group. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- McKinley, Jesse (April 16, 2000). "Sasha Von Scherler, 65, Actress Who Enlivened Dozens of Plays". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved May 16, 2018.
- "Alumni, Film Studies – Wesleyan University". Wesleyan.edu. Archived from the original on January 3, 2013. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Daisy von Scherler Mayer". Filmbug. January 4, 2003. Retrieved August 23, 2012.
- Rainer, Peter (June 9, 1995). "This 'Party Girl' Knows How to Have Fun". The Los Angeles Times.
- "Party Girl". The New York Times.
- "Bio". Daisy von Scherler Mayer official website. Retrieved May 29, 2018.