Dairy Farming Promotion Organization of Thailand
The Dairy Farming Promotion Organization of Thailand (DPO) is a Thai state enterprise under the oversight of the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives. It is best known as the manufacturer of the Thai-Denmark (previously known as Thai-Danish) brand of dairy products.
Ongkan Songsoem Kitchakan Khonom haeng Prathet Thai
|State enterprise overview|
|Formed||January 16, 1962|
|Preceding State enterprise|
|Headquarters||Mittraphap Sub-district, Muak Lek, Saraburi|
|State enterprise executive|
|Parent department||Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives|
On a state visit to Denmark in 1960, King Bhumibol Adulyadej showed interest in Danish dairy farming and asked the Danish Agricultural Organization for assistance. The Thai-Danish Dairy Farm (TDDF) was conceived as a result. On 16 January 1962 the TDDF dairy farm was dedicated by King Frederik IX of Denmark and King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand. On 19 October 1971 the TDDF was transferred to the Thai government and was granted the status of a state enterprise under the Agriculture Ministry. It was then renamed the "Dairy Farming Promotion Organization of Thailand (DPO)".
As of 2018[update], 95 percent of DPO's revenues come from UHT milk products. The company's forward strategy includes more focus on refrigerated dairy products: pasteurised milk, ice cream, and yogurt. It has the capacity to produce roughly 15 tonnes of fresh product per day. DPO buys raw milk from 44 dairy cooperatives across Thailand. The cooperatives' combined output is about 3,300 tonnes of raw milk per year. The milk is processed at DPO dairy plants in Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Saraburi, and Sukhothai.
The per capita consumption of dairy products in Thailand is 17 to 18 litres per year, as compared with 48.7 litres (milk only) in India and 31 litres (milk only) in Japan (2017). DPO aims to increase Thailand's per capita consumption to 25 litres per year.
DPO forecasts FY2019 revenues of 10.5 billion baht, up from 9.56 billion baht in the FY2018 fiscal year ending 30 September 2018. DPO's net profit in FY2018 was 310 million baht. Overseas sales were 1.1 billion baht in FY2018, expected to grow to 1.3 billion baht in FY2019. DPO targets Cambodia, China, Malaysia, and Myanmar for expansion.
- "โครงสร้าง/อำนาจหน้าที่" [Structure/Authority]. Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- "ผลิตภัณฑ์นมไทย-เดนมาร์ค เปลี่ยนชื่อเรียกผลิตภัณฑ์ภาษาอังกฤษใหม่". www.dpo.go.th (in Thai). Dairy Farming Promotion Organization of Thailand. Retrieved 24 December 2018.
- Jitpleecheep, Pitsinee (2018-12-21). "Thai-Danish maker targets youth market". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 2018-12-21.
- "ผลิตภัณฑ์" [Products]. Dairy Farming Promotion Organization of Thailand. Retrieved 2018-12-24.
- "DAIRY FARMING PROMOTION ORGANIZATION OF THAILAND (D.P.O.)" (PDF). DPO. n.d. Retrieved 2018-12-21.
- "Contact us". Dairy Farming Promotion Organization of Thailand (DPO). Retrieved 2018-12-21.
- "Per capita Consumption". CLAL. 2018-12-19. Retrieved 2018-12-21.