Coordinates: Dainik Jagran is an Indian Hindi-language daily newspaper. It is the largest read newspaper in India and the second-largest newspaper in India by circulation as per Audit Bureau of Circulations (India).
|Headquarters||Jagran Building, 2, Sarvodya Nagar, Kanpur-208 005, India|
|Circulation||3,632,383 daily (as of Jan − Jun 2016)|
Dainik Jagran has now been the most read daily newspaper in India for the 25th consecutive time. It has also been declared by the World Association of Newspapers (WAN) as one of the most read newspapers in the world. It was named the most credible newspaper source in India in a survey commissioned by BBC-Reuters.
The newspaper is owned by Jagran Prakashan Limited, a publishing house listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange of India. Jagran Prakashan Limited also acquired Mid Day in 2010 and Naiduniya in 2012.
The newspaper was launched in 1942 in Jhansi during the Indian freedom struggle (Quit India movement) by Shri Puran Chandra Gupta, JC Arya and Shri Gurudev Gupta a nationalist, to voice nationalistic sentiments. Their legacy was carried forward by literary stalwarts like Narendra Mohan who carried forward the paper's editorial legacy.
In 1947, a second edition made its appearance in Kanpur. In a succession of planned expansions, Rewa and Bhopal editions were added in 1953 and 1956. Gorakhpur was added in 1975, followed by Varanasi, Allahabad, Meerut, Agra, Aligarh and Bareilly in the 1980s, and finally Delhi in 1990. Dainik Jagran then ventured out into other states like Uttarakhand, Haryana, Bihar, Jharkhand, Punjab, Jammu, Himachal Pradesh and West Bengal. The group also started several educational initiatives at both the junior and senior levels.
On 23rd of November 2017 the Patna Edition of Dainek Jagran used a picture of veteran actor Dilip Kumar of Bollywood instead of southern cinema actor Dileep. On the first page of the newspaper it was mentioned that "Veteran Actor Dilip Kumar Accused In Kidnapping of a South Actress" along with the picture of the same. But in actuality the actor who was accused was an actor of south Indian movies (namely Dileep) and the same (south Indian actor) was mentioned on the 13th page. But the paper used the name and picture of the former on the front page. Till date Dainek Jagran has not apologised officially.
- "Submission of circulation figures for the audit period July - December 2015" (PDF). Audit Bureau of Circulations. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- "Details of most circulated publications for the audit period Jan - Jun 2016" (PDF). Audit Bureau of Circulations. Retrieved 2016-12-27.
- "Dainik Jagran tops national readership in 2013". Dainik Jagran.
- "Study Tour "Success made in India"". Wan-Ifra. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- "BBC Poll: Trust in Media - Countries". Globescan.com. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- "Jagran buys Mid-Day's publication business". Business Standard.
- "Jagran Prakashan buys Nai Dunia". Indian Express.