Dainik Pakistan was renamed Dainik Bangla after the independence of Bangladesh in 1971. After independence, the newspaper published reports on Bengali collaborators of the Pakistan Army and war crimes. The reports were used as evidence in the Bangladesh war crimes tribunal. In 1972, Hasan Hafizur Rahman was elected president of the editorial board of the Dainik Bangla. In 1975, the government of Bangladesh closed all newspapers except The Daily Ittefaq, The Bangladesh Times, The Bangladesh Observer and the Dainik Bangla, which were nationalised. After the assassination of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in the 15 August 1975 Bangladesh coup d'état, the newspaper, then state-owned, stopped reporting about him and did not cover the anniversary of his death. The newspaper was closed by the Bangladesh Awami League government in 1997 along with other state owned media, The Bangladesh Times and Saptahik Bichitra.
An important road junction in Dhaka, Dainik Bangla intersection, has been named after the newspaper.
- "Veteran journalist Obaidul Haque passes away". The Daily Star. 17 October 2007. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Remembering Saleh Chowdhury: A journalist and freedom fighter". The Daily Star. 7 September 2017. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "Profile of Kamaruzzaman". The Daily Star. 12 April 2015.
- "War Crimes Tribunal lawyers collect records of 70s". The Daily Star. 6 January 2011. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Hasan Hafizur Rahman: For the love of language". The Daily Star. 18 June 2013. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- Paxton, J. (2016). The Statesman's Year-Book 1976-77. Springer. p. 221. ISBN 9780230271050.
- "Bangabandhu: a forbidden name for 16yrs". The Daily Star. 16 August 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- Chakrabarti, Kunal; Chakrabarti, Shubhra (2013). Historical Dictionary of the Bengalis. Scarecrow Press. p. 337. ISBN 9780810880245. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "Police detain BNP activists from protest march for Khaleda". bdnews24. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Hundreds of BNP men stage demo in Dhaka". The Daily Star. 9 February 2018. Retrieved 11 March 2018.